Solo high a for 5th tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kristian, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Hi,
    I have a kind of strange set up playing a five stringed bass tuned in fifths(cgdae).
    I just got a specialy made high e string for this bass, a original flat chromesteel which I like very much. Now I'm looking into what to pair it with. I've ordered a set of Red Mitchell spirocore but I guess I won't be to happy with the high a, so I'm looking into different options.
    I'm a jazz/crossover guy who plays a lot with the bow so something with some sustain and that bows good. And preferably not to thin.

I guess the obvious choice would be another OFC but who knows...
    I've also heard some good things about permanent and flexocore deluxe. Would they fit between some spiros and OFC?
    I'm currently playing on gutstrings but my bass wants something with some more tension. And I don't like synthetic strings..
    Any ideas?

2. paulunger

paulunger Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Flexocor Deluxe. The tension will match better than a flat chrome solo A.

Kristian likes this.
  3. paulunger

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Dominant is also an option.

Kristian likes this.
  4. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Won't it be strange with a synthetic string between the steel strings?

5. paulunger

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    It's matching the tension of the solo A with a regular D that is the catch. Only Flexocor, Flexocor Deluxe and Doninant have solo A's that are lower in tension and work better, IMHO.

6. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    How's the flexocore solo a? Is it thin/thick?

7. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    Not at all. I know some classical players, using spirocores GAE with a Dominant D. Very nice combination. The Spirocore D string can be a bit harsh, while the Dominant has a smoother, more open sound. Still having the Spirocore top string gives you all the power and projection you could wish for.

I'm using Spirocore G, Dominant DAE lowB/C at moment.
    While I'm thinking about going back to Spirocore E and B/C, I'm very happy Dominants in the middle and Spirocore on top.

Kristian likes this.
  8. paulunger

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I prefer the Flexocor Deluxe solo A string. IHO it is a little thicker, more robust and more sustain. The regular Flexocor is thin and dark.
    I just reread your original post and your best bet just might be sticking with the Spiricore. That's what I do.
    If I'm playing strictly classical music for a long time I may swap out the High A and D string for a Flexocor Deluxe.

Kristian likes this.
  9. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Ok, thanks a lot!

10. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The Permanent solo A has a bit more tension than their orchestral G. It was never a problem on my instrument and went over Spirocores quite well, but some instruments really don't like the additional tension. I have the Flexicore Deluxe solo A on there now, which has the exact same tension as the Permanent orchestral G. Pirastro added tension information onto their website a while ago, which you may find helpful if more or less tension is a concern.

Otherwise, the Spirocore A didn't do it for me which is why I flip flopped between the Permanent and Flex Deluxe. If you look at the numbers on the Pirastro page, there is a huge difference in tension between the OFC solo A and orchestral G. Did Pirastro give you any information on the tension of the E? It is a pretty common issue to have big tension differences between the high string on a 5 string regardless to whether it is a C, D, or E, and the string below it for some reason, and finding something that makes the tension difference manageable might be a better way to go about it.

Kristian likes this.
  11. SEAWRECKS

SEAWRECKS

Nov 18, 2014
    The Woods, NH
    I've a 5 string tuned to a modified "drop C" (CGCFG). I use a low B and then the A, D, and two G strings. Purely experimental, but fun nonetheless!

Kristian likes this.
  12. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    I wrote to them 2 times but they didn't come back to me... :(

13. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    High G strings or "normal" ones?

14. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    I don't mind having a high tension top(and bottom) string but I prefer the midle ones to be softer.
    I've ordered one set Red Mitchell mediums, one set weich and a flexocore deluxe solo A. Hopefully I'll find my dream combo!
    But please continue to update me on other possible solutions(maybe a Belcanto solo a?). :)

15. Try contacting Bob Spear. When they first started that production run I expressed interest and he emailed me about it. Unfortunately they started with the 38" mensure. I waited for information about regular length strings and never heard. I moved on and never followed up.

Kristian likes this.
  16. SEAWRECKS

SEAWRECKS

Nov 18, 2014
    The Woods, NH
    I used 2 x .045, for the "high" F and G, I suppose it'd be preferable to use a high C and have a "normal" tuning

17. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    ???
    Are you talking about on an electric bass? I'm playing double bass. ;)

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021