Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solo music that new bass players should play

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by kawaeegirl, Jan 25, 2005.

1. What solo music is out there that a beginner like me could play? I want to be play music that is really for bass. I hear alot of dragonnetti... but i donno if that music can be played by a beginner like me....?
    Do you have music to recommend that a classical lover would like to play?

thanks!

2. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    The pieces i started on as a beginner were the capuzzi concerto, vivaldi's cello sonata (the easy one), and eccles sonata. Those pieces will teach you a lot and i doubt that theyre out of your reach technically. Thats a lot of music there so i suggest you get started :)

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Look for a copy of Music Minus One's solos for string bass beginner/Intermediate level. It's an old publication but still available.

It is nice in that it is not overwhelming to play and it also includes a great recording of all the pieces by David Walter. Also included on the CD is the piano-only accompaniment tracks, so you have your own pianist as long as you have a CD player. Using those tracks is very helpful IMO.

Nicer pieces from that publication include The Elephant ( a bass player must know) A very nice Gavotte from Bach and Vivaldi's Sonata No. 4 in Bb.

There are other nice pieces as well. It'll be plenty for you to work on for a while.

If you are simply looking for more musical excepts to enhance technique, you should also pick up a set of George Vances Progressive Repertoire books. There are some really nice excepts and shorter pieces in those books with each focusing on developing particular fingerings and fingering sequences.

I use mine all the time. As long as you are ordering from SLAVA, you might also get the Vade Mecum, which is a very good collection of various scales and arpeggios.