solo music that new bass players should play

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by kawaeegirl, Jan 25, 2005.

1. What solo music is out there that a beginner like me could play? I want to be play music that is really for bass. I hear alot of dragonnetti... but i donno if that music can be played by a beginner like me....?
    Do you have music to recommend that a classical lover would like to play?

2. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    The pieces i started on as a beginner were the capuzzi concerto, vivaldi's cello sonata (the easy one), and eccles sonata. Those pieces will teach you a lot and i doubt that theyre out of your reach technically. Thats a lot of music there so i suggest you get started :)
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Look for a copy of Music Minus One's solos for string bass beginner/Intermediate level. It's an old publication but still available.

It is nice in that it is not overwhelming to play and it also includes a great recording of all the pieces by David Walter. Also included on the CD is the piano-only accompaniment tracks, so you have your own pianist as long as you have a CD player. Using those tracks is very helpful IMO.

Nicer pieces from that publication include The Elephant ( a bass player must know) A very nice Gavotte from Bach and Vivaldi's Sonata No. 4 in Bb.

There are other nice pieces as well. It'll be plenty for you to work on for a while.

If you are simply looking for more musical excepts to enhance technique, you should also pick up a set of George Vances Progressive Repertoire books. There are some really nice excepts and shorter pieces in those books with each focusing on developing particular fingerings and fingering sequences.

I use mine all the time. As long as you are ordering from SLAVA, you might also get the Vade Mecum, which is a very good collection of various scales and arpeggios.