Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo Obligatos

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Jun 29, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I have honestly been through about 20 different strings in the last 3 years. So far the Solo Obligatos tuned down have been the best comprimise. I keep comming back to them. I recently tried the Supersensitive Sensicore and they seemed to be more floppy than the solo obligatos tuned down. My second favorite string so far has been the Eurosonic Ultra Light strings. They were to hard to bow though even after scraping them up with sand paper in the bowed area. It would be nice to find something perfect, but the solo obligatos will have to do untill then. On my bass, most strings seem very tight.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you tried the regular Obligatos? How do the solos bow in comparison? I am interested in finding a low tension string, without loosing much volume.....

If your bass is really tight, you can do a few things to help. Having the tailpiece wire shortened so that the tailpiece is closer to the saddle will help. Having a raised saddle could also help a lot. It will lower amount of pressure on the top.

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    This is strange. Regular Oblis are fairly confortable, so I agree with Adrian: you should try to improve your setup, it would cost much less than 20 sets of strings...

4. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I have a raised saddle and an elongated tailpiece wire. This setup makes the solo obligatos tuned down feel like the regular Obligatos on most other basses that I have tried. Is it maybe not a good idea to have both the raised saddle and the elongated tailpiece wire?

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I think that when self medication does work then you go to the doctor: take your bass to the luthier and discuss the options with him...

6. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    The luthier has said that it should not be a problem. I was wondering if any one here including any luthiers had any opinions on this though.

7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    As far as I know, the sole effect of a raised saddle is to reduce the pressure on the belly.
    It won't change the tension in the string itself.
    The elongated tailpiece wire will bring the tailpiece nearer the bridge, thus reducing the string lenght between the bridge and tailpiece.
    There has been some discussion and theories about the right ratio between this lenght and the bass scale.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Solo Obligatos are my new string. I love them. They bow and pizz extremely well.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Adrian, in regards to volume I have lost none.

10. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Excellent! That is what I wanted to hear. I am ordering a set from Lemur right now.....

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    check gollihur first...$112.

12. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Done! I just ordered a set from Mark Gollihur. Should be here next week.

13. jflojazz

jflojazz

Jan 2, 2004
    Portland Or
    How do these compare to spirocore weichs in tension and volume.?
    i dig the tone of regular OBli's but the G and D were too stiff.

:help: :help:

14. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you will find them close to Weichs. Maybe a hint less volume. They are easy to play and sound great. I am currently in a string trying phase, and these are definitely one of my favorites.