Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solo / orchestra

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, May 19, 2001.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    One more question on this string thing,well several actually. Can someone explain to me the difference between orchestra and solo strings? And what does 3/4 tuning and 1/2 tuning mean? Are they talking about bass size??? I'm sort of leaning towards the Thomastiks superflexibles at the moment. Anyone out there have any good things to say about these strings. Or even more important, anything bad to say about them.

Thanks
    Kevinlee

2. 3/4 tuning and 1/2 tuning don't mean anything. I think you scrambled some facts. 1/2 and 3/4 denote the size of the bass, and string makers make strings in different lengths, accordingly. If your string length from nut to bridge is between 40.5" and 43", you'll want standard 3/4 length.

If it means anything, in 45 years of playing, every pizz player I've seen using Tomastik was using Spirocores.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Solo-tuning is one whole tone higher than orchestra tuning. Thus, F# B E A.
    Solo-tuning strings are therefore thinner than orchestra tuning strings. You can use them as a thin gauge setup. However you may find them too floppy.
    There are many brands available in true thin gauge. Solo-tuning strings can be seen as extra-thin.