1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solo over Well You Needn't Critique

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by henry2513, Jun 15, 2012.

1. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Hi Guys, looking for some critique on this short solo over "Well You Needn't" during a live gig:

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    More development, fewer notes to start. The solo is immediately busy, and therefore somewhat stunted in its impact. I'm mostly going by the rhythm of what you're playing, as the pitches are a little tough to distinguish in the recording. The drummer isn't helping you any, his dynamics and phrasing are boooooooring and one-dimensional.

If you're only going to take two choruses, I'd say just plan on your solo being less busy overall, because rushing to a climax in that short a space is going to sound forced.

3. henry2513

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Thanks for the feedback.

I always struggle with development while I'm playing live. I only get a couple of choruses which is part of the problem and I always feel like I've got to continue the energy that the guitar player built in his solo. Just something I have to get past.

It's much easier when I'm practicing at home and can take as many choruses as I like.

Do you have any tips for live situations? Other than asking for more choruses?

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Live, you have to just be comfortable, and that just takes a lot of experience. I think something you might want to check out is how upright players solo. Usually the notes are more bass line oriented, but the power of their time and phrasing hits like a train. And it's much more sparse in general, with some concentrations of busy motion. Bassists playing sax and guitar lines is cool, but keeping it simple during real performances is far preferable to doing something you're shedding but still not 100% on yet. Especially on that 16th note run you bust out, it comes out a little flat because it doesn't sound like it's being played with confidence, and it kinda came out of nowhere.

edit: listening again, I think :20-:35 is pretty darn good.

5. I really enjoyed your solo dude, nice tone too :)

6. henry2513

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Thanks and thanks for the tips!

7. henry2513

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Thanks!

8. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012
    Wow I think you have some nice lines , and you are equipped with lots of vocab too.

No doubt it is a tough tune. I think the voice leading of the 2 half step chords can be better so the phrase can be across the bar line. The B section is played with more confident. Overall nice solo.

Yeah I also struggle to play like a guitar or horns like solo or an upright solo. I think with most technically advanced bassist available now we are very tempted to play fast run and stuff, but in live version it does require lots of chops... Now I am trying to interact more with the band and play less notes during solo.basically i just play what've hear and I think it did sound better rather than dig in like a horn player. I am still trying to find my way too.

9. henry2513

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Thanks for the feedback, yes this tune, although it has very few changes, at least for me, is tricky to play because it's not the usual major minor II-V etc or blues form. I still get carried away with the chops, I definitely need to mature more as a player.