Solo pieces

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by flea claypool, May 5, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004

im stuck in the middle of writing stuff for our band and i want to take a break and learn some solo stuff to make people go wow!!!

im no victor wooten... nor miller... but i have reasonable control and technique

so can anyone recommend a either finger... maybe slap song??

just avoid tapping for the time bein

feel free to move this post sorry!!!
  2. Your nick would suggest that you might want to take a look at some primus stuff or just Awakening (with your drummer it would sound even cooler).
    That's the bassic piece for a claypooler without guitar. (too many puppies doesnt really need guitar if you have OD though, and Southbound Pachyderm even my guitarist friends all play)
    Um...Marcus Miller's Power is a simple tune...but that would take double thumb technique and some theory to solo over.

Jaco Pastorius' Teen Town (by Weather Report) is a great sounding tune that's all finger can add in the in between keyboard melody cues on your bass to fill it in.

Stanley Clarke's Silly Putty is also pretty cool, and not to mention a definitive funk arrangement (Claypool did this one on Rhinoplasty and live)

Superfreak (I'm Rick James, Bitch!)

The main theme of Stu Hamm's Country Music (in his live solos he sometimes uses just one simple part of the actual song, without the crazy tapping parts)

Jaco Pastorius' version of Jimi Hendrix' Third Stone from the Sun (he plays this (one of my favourite songs ever) in his Live solos like "Slang", and in fuller form in some live concerts)

The High Melody to Badinerie sounds cool.

Cliff Burton's Solo called "Anesthaesia (sic) - Pulling Teeth" is very simple chords and arpeggio work, sounds great.

For some jazzier stuff, Miles davis' So What can be played in many solo ways on bass. You can also play Wes Montgomery's Four on Six.

A trickier one might by Flight of the Bumblebee...especially if you dont have a six stringer.

Well, those are some basic ones, as I said.

Have fun!
  3. Oh and if you want to sound really cool for the first two times you do it (then use them VERY sparingly...or you'll just be annoying):

Learn how Billy Sheehan does his solos (not too difficult) and then either copy them (such as NV43345 or whatever its called...he has free live ones on his site) or just parts of them and make your own...he improvises them.

4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    +1 On The Awakening. Great between just the bassist and the drummer.

Also, flight of the Bumblebee....................................

Yeah, that's insanely hard no matter how many strings you have. Pretty much one of the hardest songs EVER. Still haven't seen someone make it all the way through.

5. A kid at a music store with a yamaha six stringer played it for me...he'd been playing for only 2 years at the time. Keep in mind I am excluding the Chord comping done underneath the high melody.

He was a John Myung fan so he did the 4 finger technique. I dont find it too difficult either, though I still havent spent enough time on it to get through the whole thing, and I only ever practiced it for a couple of days in my first year on the bass.

Try it out. There's a tab out there somewhere for six string bass...actually, I think i transposed it to PowerTab when i started out. Ill post if i can find it.

Oh, and if Petrucci or Satch (the bald white one) can do it on guitar, we can do it on bass.