Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TheHardyBoyzSB, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Hey all, I was wondering what a fairly priced recorded for just recording bass (just myself and maybe some vocals) would cost. Basically just for practice use. Any info on cheaper equipment for this kind of recording?

Thanks

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    it all depends on how versatile you want it to be - do you to record the two part separately? if so, you'll have to go for some kind of mulittracking stuff - 4 track, or computer recording stuff.

if you want to record the twho at the same time, then the best option as far as I can see, is Minidisc - i recently did an entire album direct to Minidisc, using a fairly basic stereo microphone, and the quality is outstanding. if you just want to set up a mic, play and record the results, that's probably the best cash to quality ratio that I can see.

otherwise, just buy a mic and plug in into your tape deck at home...

cheers

steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Hey thanks for the info, the minidisc sounds like a great idea for me, you have any recommendations on models or brands?

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I've got a Sony MZR-55, but it's worth holding otu a few months for a new one just launched in Japan that gives you up to 5 hours of stereo recording on one disc (10 hours in mono!!!!!!)

cheers

steve

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think Mini Disc Recorders are about the cheapest for the sort of quality you can get. I have an Aiwa AMF5 and it was only about £120 in the UK and it's very good for the price - bought a decent Sony Stereo mike and it can produce very good recordings. Probably not up to the highest standards, but very useful for recording gigs and band practices.

You could probably get this much cheaper in the US or off the internet and it would do the job. Make sure you invest in a good mike as well though as the one included is useless for bass.

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    though for some bizarre reason Minidisc doesn't seem to have taken off in the US in the way that it has over here, Bruce - I went out to NAMM in January thinking that discs would be much cheaper there so i didn't take any. I had a huge hassle just trying to get any discs at all!!

Has the situation improved since January?

Steve

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Steve, more details? What mic, what recorder, how did you transfer and edit?
    Thanks
    jeff

8. Thanks Steve!

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I recorded with a Sony ECM-907 stereo mic in front of my Ashdown combo, straight into a Sony MZR-55 recorder. The stuff was then dumped across into pro-tools on a mac to ecit out the rubbish that I talk between songs, and match up the levels. but what you get on the CD is what came off the minidisc...

cheers

Steve