1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLO solos....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I have a fairly high end gig coming up in March, and I've been given the opportunity to do a solo -by myself- should I choose to.

I'm the kinda guy who likes these days to lay low as part of the rhythm section, but truth be told - the only reason I'd turn down this opportunity is because I'm absolutely terrified to do it - BUT....

I'm not a guy who likes to make fear stop me from doing anything.

I also feel its a bucket list kinda thing that will help me immensely to grow as a musician.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts and experiences. I could use some inspiration. This is completely new territory for me.

JimmyM, cchorney, 2tonic and 7 others like this.
  2. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    What's the genre/style of the band?

Joe Nerve and James Collins like this.
  3. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Maybe surprise them with something nobody expects on bass. Like a chorded and finger-rolled medley of Bells of St. Mary's and Over the Rainbow. Alternate the roll between Chet and banjo. Just a thought.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Old school R&R. Its with a guy who played in the Leslie West band.

I like this! You've inspired me... (either you or the cup of coffee I just drank :) ). Some ideas immediately came to mind.

Thank you.

ELG60, Microbass, pellomoco14 and 2 others like this.
  5. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Play 24 bars of the tune -- I presume they will let you know which tune you are to do you solo in.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  6. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Next time, we'll see your face.
    jn.PNG

Here is how the previous bass player soloed.

12BitSlab, Helix, OogieWaWa and 3 others like this.
  7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    :)

Actually... the guy I'm playing with did the last bunch of shows with Leslie, on bass. I'm assuming that's the Rev (though I don't recognize him without hair :)). I wanted that gig so bad I could taste it. Leslie calls the shots though, not my friend.

FWIW - The Rev is a MUCH better bass player than the guy I'm playing with. Much better bass player than me, too.

8. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, since there's a Leslie West connection, I'd get my Felix on and play the riff from Mountain's Swan Theme. I always thought the live side from Flowers Of Evil was some great music.
    Have Fun!

Dudaronamous and Joe Nerve like this.
  9. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    I really get tremendously uncomfortable with just improvising a solo. It always manages to turn into total crap. I look stupid enough on my own without the added bonus of that.

what I found works best for me when I've been in an act that had me solo is that I simply had to compose something at home and stick with that. Work the living daylights out of it until I couldn't get it wrong. On stage, it actually became fun to solo when I knew exactly where I was going.

10. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I think you will have to consider how long you have to prepare and what techniques you feel comfortable with. A lot of solo bass stuff seems to lean toward finger tapping or slapping online. But I've been to a bunch of concerts and seen stuff as simple as playing the Imperial March.

Reedt2000 and Joe Nerve like this.
  11. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm ashamed to say I've not heard of Leslie West until now. Just checked out a few toons on YouTube - guy's a monster both guitar and vocals.
    Anyways, turns out there's a tune ("Whiskey") that featured Stanley Clarke. It's a bit of a lick trade - maybe you could conceive a duet between yourself and the guitar player along those lines?

CalBuzz51 and Joe Nerve like this.
  12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Ya gotta be an old guy to have heard of Leslie West.

13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I thought I was on old guy. Maybe being a brit doesn't help!

Joe Nerve likes this.
  14. 2000TA46032

2000TA46032

Aug 1, 2018
    +1 on slapping

CatchaCuda and Joe Nerve like this.
  15. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    :crying::thumbsdown:

Joe Nerve likes this.
  16. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    You are taking about a soloist piece? Correct? Not a solo during a song, but a bass only piece between sets for example. That is how I interpreted it, but a lot of the recommendations sound like a solo during a song.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  17. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Or maybe that I've heard of him now makes me old? Thanks Joe, for the steer and making me old!

18. You could just play a melody from a famous song, with a couple little cool bass fills in there down low to emphasize that this is a BASS - guitar's can't do THAT.

Could be free time too, just playing and expressing - and make sure to walk around a bit and look at and over top of the crowd.... like an egocentric guitarist would

Solo solos are great with some delay and/or reverb too.... just sayin

They'll LOVE IT

Joe Nerve likes this.
  19. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I would suggest the following two things:

1. Your strong side of playing the bass guitar.
    (From my following your bass-ing, it's the way you Slap, your idiosyncratic way of Slapping!
    2. Some kind of link to Leslie West, like one of his song/s re-arranged your idiosyncratic Slapping way!

LowActionHero, SteveCS and Joe Nerve like this.
  20. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Do it. They may be checking you out for something else. I hate soloing, but never say no when the BL points to me. Somethings you just gotta do.