1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solo songs to impress

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by TheBassBetween, Jul 18, 2007.

1. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    As bassists, we don't really get to shine in the same way that a shredding guitarist does, so when we get a solo spot, we REALLY wanna make it memorable.

What are some songs or riffs or whatever that you play when it's your time to solo? Now, I mean complete solo, without backing or anything, just you and your (4/5/6/7?) strings.

I'll start by saying Love Thing by Stu Hamm is always a great song to begin with, and maybe some Portrait of Tracy.

Any thoughts?

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Jason Newsted's "Cunning Stunts" solo is very memorable. Even though it's just bits and pieces of Metallica riffs, it's really nice.

3. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    I found a video of Cunning Stunts here:

I was wondering, does anyone know what pedal Newsted is using? He's putting a lot of movement into it with his foot, like a wah-wah pedal...

4. Sorry man, but similar threads have been done to death :(

5. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Haha, Cunning Stunts cannot compare with the beauty that is Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth). :)

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Glad to be back from Paris or Rosa by Jonas Hellborg would be fairly impressive, I'd say!