Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo Strings Thread

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by travatron4000, Jan 18, 2006.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As there hasn't been a thread started solely dedicated to solo stings I thought I would start one, not only to answer my questions but those of others. I'm encouraging all to post descriptive, review like comments of solo strings.

Example: I, AnonTber, have used these stings. They sounded like this and played like this. They work well in orchestral tuning. They compare to these strings in this manner.

I know that there have been threads about solo strings but most with a specific string in mind and none with a the aformentioned format.

I hope to gain the wisdom of those before me and hopefully gain useful information that may save myself, and everyone else, the cost of buying stings that aren't what we were looking for.

It is my hope that this will create a "one stop shop" for Tbers solo string research. Reducing the stress of reading through an 11 page thread to find that it really doesn't help.

2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I think you should clarify - I'm assuming you're tuning them at solo pitch.

I have Pirastro Flex Solos. The top two strings are great, they're very soft, bright but not screechy and project well. The third string is OK. It speaks well above the heel of the next but shound like crap Below the D-E area. The fourth string is garbage, I had a thread about it. it is floppy, loose, has no punch and just generally sounds like @$$, if @$$ had a sound.

Also any orchestral excerpt/part will sound bad with these strings but that may be across the board for solos.

3. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    jargar dolce (solo) A and E strings are strong enough even at orch pich! but G and D = too light and thin seems to me. never used flex 92' , but maybe jargar E, (A), could mach well with flex 92' G, D,(A).. as i know they are both dark sounding strings

4. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Any Recomendations on solo stings that work well at orchestra tuning as well? I will be using them at solo but dont want to have to transpose the whole time I'm in Orchestra for the semester.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Helicore Solos are nice in both tunings. Smooth sound with good projection.