1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solo Strings tuned down

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Eli_Upright12, Aug 16, 2007.

1. I did a search but didnt come up with anything real helpful, what strings has everyone found to sound good both at solo and orchestra pitch? Currently I'm playing Obligatos, but lately I've been playing alot more solo repertoire that calls for solo tuning. I talked to me luthier and he said that the obligatos don't like being changed often and they sound floppy when tuned down a whole step. well thanks for any help you can give me. laters

2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I don't think it makes much difference what string you use as long as you keep it in a certain tuning. I use Thomastik (sp) solo strings and they work great on my bass. I leave them in orchestral tuning though, because they're great for jazz pizz and solo playing. They are a bit too light for orchestral work. However, once you crank a set up to "solo" pitch, they're going to be stretched out when you try and go back to orchestral pitch. That has been my experience, and the results aren't that useful. Thus, I either transpose piano parts or purchase transposed piano parts for standard tuning.

-Pat

3. Thanks pat, hmm well it seems there's not much of an alternative t just having two sets of strings then is there.

4. Verth

Verth

Jul 28, 2007
    la Jonquera,Spain
    musician/luthier
    Sure there is!

Play in fifths!

:bassist:

5. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    I agree. However, when I was in college I sometimes use thomastic solo strings & tuned them up & down when needed. This did deaden the strings some, but I accepted the compromise. It was an accepable way to get through solo tuning pieces and regular tuning for och & jazz.You will lose some volume when You tune them down Though. If You have a set, concider this, if not , go with the transposed piano parts.