1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solo Strings (tuned in Solo Tuning): Sounds like Dominants but don't snap?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jesse Dietschi, May 22, 2018.

1. Been doing a lot of solo tuning playing, and am starting to travel (with a detachable neck). I've fallen in love with the sound of Dominant Solos, but have managed to break 5 in the past year (3x1st strings and 2x2nd strings). While I think I've figured out the cause (winding too close to wall of peg box), they also don't seem to travel well, taking a full 24 hours to settle enough to hold their tuning, and getting very sticky feeling under the left hand during that time (?)- enough to actually rub skin off my fingers when shifting frequently, as one tends to do playing solo rep...

I'm curious if anyone has experience with steel core strings that can even get close to the kind of brilliant tone, projection, and response of Dominants. I'm familiar with the orchestral Bel Cantos, Flex Deluxe, and Permanents (fans of all), but haven't tried the solo gauge tuned up.

Any thoughts?

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    My first thought with a detachable neck bass is spirocores. Also thinking that because you like dominants I know they are pretty close. I’ve never tried solo tuning them but I play the mediums

3. Main issue I have is that fast bow response is a must, which orchestra Spiros are not good at. I haven't tried the solos, but it seems like a gamble.

4. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I’ve read here that at orchestra tuning the spiro solos are the easiest and warmest but I’m not sure at solo tuning.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    According to this post, Renaud Garcia Fons uses Spiro Solos on the A, D, and G, and a Spiro weich on the E. I don't think a string can possibly respond faster to a bow than his seem to!

Seanto likes this.
  6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Spiro solos have have the fastest and best bow response of any string. I use all four on my Chadwick folding bass with no issues and the same as Garcia-Fons on my main bass.

Seanto likes this.