Solo Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by EFischer1, Nov 2, 2002.

1. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I'm looking for solo strings for some upcoming concerts i'm playing.

I'm going to be playing a few bottesini songs, the dragonetti concerto, and the bottesini concerto.

Any suggestions as to the best type of solo strings to buy?
    I was thinking flexocore originals...
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I like the solo Spiros. Bow and sound great.
  3. wesi44

Nov 23, 2002
    Florence, Italy
    What is the tension aspect of the Spiro solo ?
    I am looking for a very low tension solo string
    that I can tune down to orchestral pitch. They have to work in a jazz context.
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    If they are already very low tension in solo tuning, they'll be unplayable tuned down at orchestra pitch, IMHO.
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    They're playable at normal tuning -- I've seen it done tons. Essiet Essiet uses these this way. If you're wanting to get a lot of volume pizz, then I wouldn't recommend this setup, but if you're playing primarily through an amp you'll be fine.
  6. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Can be true with Spiro solos, but I wouldn't try that with Corelli solos...
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'll take your word on that one. I only had on a set of Correlli's on way back when, and it strikes me that they were much lighter than the Ebola-gatos that I have on now. I would imagine the bridge wouldn't even be on too securely with Correlli solos down to normal pitch.
  8. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I've had a set of solo Flexocore 92's (tuned down to orch. pitch) on for a few weeks now and I like the sound and feel quite a bit.

They have a reel nice warm, dark pizz sound and still seem pretty focused.

I did have to jack my string height up a bit to compensate for the low tension.

I was using Jargars dolce pretty faithfully over the past year or so, and trying out other strings along the way.

The solo Flexocores are the first set of steel other than the Jargar that give's me that warm traditional gut like sound.

I still find myself putting gut's back on every couple of months or so but it seem's I only have them on for a short while then it's back to steel.

9. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think that solo Original Flatchromes would be even better! :)
    Would be more lively and have a fuller tone, methinks.
    The Flexocor '92 can be very dull on many basses.
    The thin gauge Flex '92 is a good compromise. (they're available in three gauges)
  10. I can promise all that this is true.
    The Corelli solos are a very light gauge string, tuned down a whole step makes them seem even lighter.

Unless you are planing on bending notes ala' B.B. King on your DB the Spiros are the way to go.