Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solo technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by C//LiMBa, Apr 12, 2002.

1. when you're together with your band and you're writing a song and you want a bass solo in it, how do you start with the solo? do you start with something simple and make it more complicated? or do you have another methode?

just a simple question from a newbie who needs to write a solo :D

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It all depends on everything else in the song ;)

What I mean is that you have to consider factors such as:
    1. what style of music?
    2. what other instruments are playing?
    3. what is within your ability to play well?
      [/list=1]For example, in a jazzy solo, you could use the melody as a starting point and add a bit of colour by adjusting some of the notes and phrases. With a heavy metal solo, you might instead want to stomp on the distortion box and jump into a series of power chords while everything else but the drums drops out.

Most importantly, what comes out of your practise and playing? If you're not deliberately trying to emulate someone else, what do you sound like?

Perhaps you could give some more background on this particular song you're working on?

Wulf

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The way I would approach a solo is :

1. What are the chords - what's the sequence?
    2. What melody goes over that (as wulf says)?
    3. What scales will fit or are implied by the melody and chords?
    4. What's the "feel" rhythmically and in terms of tension/release?
    5. How many times round the sequence have I got or is it "free"?
    6. How melodic or rhythmic am I going to be - probably based on a decision from 2 and 4 .

What do I feel like - what am I trying to "say" ?

This last point could come first or supersede/override all the others! ;)

4. the meaning of the solo is to be an introduction (i'm from europe and don't know well how to say this, "a little part before the song starts") and as outro (a bit different) or chorus, we don't really know it yet.
    It's probable gonna be a metal song, i've got a boss bass chorus pedal, and i want to use it.

is this enough information??

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - it wouldn't be for me!! ;)

Key, chords, scales, rhythmic information - that's what you need!!

6. we don't use keys, chords, scales or rhythmic informations :) we just start jamming and this is how we make songs, i dont even write the tabs down :D

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmnnn...

What I think you're saying is that you're writing a song with your band and that the intro and outro sections - maybe also the chorus - are going be mainly bass without much of the other instruments playing (hence 'solo'). The style is metal but you're not approaching it from a technical point of view.

In the longterm, it would definitely be worth your while learning the musical vocabulary you need to describe and think about what you're doing. In the short term... well, you're just going to have to start jamming ;)

I think the most helpful thing I can suggest is don't make it too complex. If you come up with something that is right on the edge of your ability, you're likely to keep on playing it wrong, especially if other people are expecting you to start the song. Figure out something that sounds good to you and which you can nail first time every time. [Of course, when you practise, keep pushing to the edges of what you can acheive, so that you can grow]

Wulf

8. thanks!