Solo tenor-bass Warwick MP3

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Aug 28, 2004.

1. After a few days playing funk on my new fretless, I finally got round to playing my Thumb, but I strung it ADGC, and went all chord-melody on Saturday afternoon - this is one of the pieces I came up with. It's a mixture of some Manring and Wooten stuff, which from a writing point of view always has a directness that I really love - these guys want to get across some good musical information though a really heartfelt melody.

<b>Yeah, I re-recorded it - I think it's a bit better now - at least it's mostly in time throughout, but it's still only half-finished - I hope you like...</b>

Let me know what you think...

<b><a href=>Hang Time (Tenor bass, MP3)</a></b>
  2. hey, pretty nice. i've been wanted to string one of my basses ADGC, but i don't have the strings, and i don't have a bass to do that on!
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Some nice ideas floating around in there, but a lot of the rhythms are pretty disjointed, and I dunno about a lot of that popping.

I think you should take this and flesh it out some more, it has the potential to be a really nice piece.

Tonally, I thought the bass sounded a bit too thin, but it might have just been my speakers(they tend to do that a little)

offside, I've been wanting to do the tenor bass thing for a while too, but recently figured I'd probably do it C-G-D-A, then it wouldn't really be tenor, but it'd still be neat.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I loved it, but I agree that the stuff sounded a little choppy or disjounted. Did you take any jazz courses?
  5. I agree dudes, it's very much work in progress - the sound is nice but I agree needs some fixing in terms of more bottom end. The choppiness is mainly due to the fact I was making it up for the most part - not an excuse in terms of being tight and grooving but I literally wasn't sure what I was going to play next - but I think as a piece it's definitely got potential - this was my first attempt to play through the ideas from start to finish - there's also a pretty awful edit after the slap section that kinda sucks too!

The idea is to obviosuly get into some kind of flow and as any of you will know who have tried doing a chord melody on one bass, it's no piece of cake. And yes I am going to flesh it out with a bunch of other parts - but thanks loads for checking it out and giving some constructive comments - watch out for the finished version soon.