Solo tone vs. with a band

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigchiefbc, Dec 31, 2007.

1. So a few weeks ago, a friend of mine gave me his Boss SD-1, so I tried it out at home, and I was not all that impressed with the tone. I was about to give it to the gui**** in my band, but I figured I would give it one more shot last night at band practice. I was running two channels: one clean, and the SD-1 in my dirty channel. HOLY CRAP! It sounded awesome. Nice grindy OD, a little colder than a Tubescreamer/Bad Monkey. Anyways, I think this little baby will be making a home on my pedalboard for the time being.

Not sure why it sounded like crap on its own, but sounded so great in the mix with the full band. Any of you guys ever have a pedal/effect that you didn't like solo, but that worked great in a band mix?

2. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Yea. Part of the problem with solo/band settings is the frequencies you actually hear coming from your rig. The guitar player and drummer fill out alot of the band you will hear alone, which is why the pedal sounds so good there. The band covered the problem tones...

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 ...also, sounds that we may find annoying or harsh at home may help cut through the mix nicely on stage.

A classic parallel is harmonic "ringing" from drums. Drummers constantly re-tune, and apply bits of tape and foam and bandages and hi-tech mylar rings and gobs of putty to the heads of their drums, all to try to eliminate that annoying harmonic ringing noise that sounds like crap at home. But live on stage, that ringing helps their desired tone carry better through the mix and helps peoples' ears to "translate" the sound.

4. That very well may be, I've tried other overdrives(like tubescreamers and such), and they seem to get lost in the mix. Something about the SD-1's grind seemed to sit in a freq pocket where it could be heard very clearly. Even the singer mentioned that it sounded cool

5. The SD-1 clips asymmetrically which sets it apart from Tubescreamers and gives it a bit more roughness. I'm a fan of it myself.

6. Ah, okay, good to know. I'm curious as to how exactly the waveform is changed. When you say it clips asymmetrically, do you mean that it clips either the leading edge more than the trailing, or something like that? That would kind of make a mild sawtooth to the wave in that case, right? Interesting.

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

To clip asymmetrically means that it clips (cuts off), say the top of the waveform and not the bottom. This generates even order harmonics which sound better (more natural) than odd harmonics.

The Aphex Exciter pedal does a similar thing, but it generates the higher even order harmonics from your existing signal and then mixes them back in. Sounds like more natural brightness than "fuzz" (odd harmonics).

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021