Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo Tuning with Regular Strings?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, May 5, 2004.

1. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I am begining to practice a concerto that requires solo tuning. Since I am not primarily a solo player, and merely want to learn a concerto for the betterment of my playing and college auditions, I do not want to buy solo tuning strings. The string coach at my school said that it would be ok to tune up my regular strings to solo tuning to practice as long as when I was done I tuned them back down (I play Obligatos). I am very affraid of the extra tension this will add to the strings and affraid of breaking a string. Is this dangerous??

PS. I want to practice it in solo tuning because the conductor at my high school might let me play a movement of the concerto with my high school orchestra. I don't want to learn it sounding one way and then go to practice with them and have it be a whole step higher because that would mess with my ears too much.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Obligatos are not a particularly high tension string. Assuming the bass is otherwise healthy, I wouldn't think that the extra tension would have an adverse impact on the bass. In fact, I would guess that stark orchestra strings tuned to concert pitch would put more compression on the top than the Obligatos at solo piitch.

I would be surprised if the strings would break from being tuned up a full step, but with Obligatos, you never know. Also, with their short life and comments here that they don't really do much for the ear after being dropped, I would be worried that they would be shot after you did it a few times.

Who knows until you try. Of course, that's the problem, isn't it?

3. is there another bass at your school you can "experiment" with ?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I wouldn't recommend this with Obligatos. I'd be surprised if they weren't shot after the first tuning up and down.

5. AFAIK, the only string that can be used both as an orchestra and solo string is the new Velvet 180.

Vincent

6. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Sorry about the un-promptness of my responce, but thank you guys. I asked my teacher and he did not suggest it either. Thanks again!

7. I'm with Ray.
    However, if you took the Obligatos off to install solo strings, they'd also be shot for future use when you were done with the solos.

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Jargar Dolces can also be used both ways.

9. don't tune it up I tried it and the tailpiece wire broke so my bridge flew off my instrument and the tailpiece was just dangling luckily the soundpost didnt collapse

10. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Done the tune up thing with Helicore Orchestral Medimums with no problem at all.

Joe

11. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    2nd that.....works for me....