Solo writing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by metallybassist, Nov 21, 2002.

1. metallybassist

May 22, 2002

sorry if this is old news, i tried searching, but couldnt really find what iwanted.

wiht my current band, my guitarsit is well gd and has just written a kickarse solo to one song.
    now im a pretty proud bassist, in that i wanna be heard, and i want people to like what they here, so i thought id try and write a bass solo.
    upon trying to do so everything just sounded, either like scales, or anesthesia.

so basically i need help.

any help kindly recieved.

thanks again
  2. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    do you any ideas for a melody in your head? when im working on solo bass pieces, i'll usually just have 3 or 4 notes to start with, and i dont even touch my bass til i have a complete melody worked out in my head. then, i'll pick up the bass, figure out which key its in, and then work it out on the fretboard. if you dont have an idea in your head to begin with, of what you want your solo to sound like, youre just going to end up doing exactly what you described, running scales.
  3. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    yeah thats a good ur in your head..thinking and your making up a bass dun dun dun da dun di da dun..say thats the bass..and then ur like thats cool..and all you have to do is work it out on the fretboard and go from there..its just like listening to a song..and being ready to tab except this song is from your imagination :D
  4. metallybassist

May 22, 2002

thats cool

could u also give me a couple of pointers on how to make the solo fit right, in that when it ends i can jump back into my main riff.

i know it sounds so bassic, but without simply stopping and leaving a pause it just sounds crap, and stopping is crap too.
  5. When i write solos i take a load of natural minor arpeggios and modify them till they sound good, i have this problem too. When you solo, it sounds strange, but when you do it with a guitar riff in the background, it creates a parallel and sounds good.