Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bertythebass, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve this solo?

2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    you might have better luck if you put it in standard notation, write out the chord symbols, original melody, and maybe the style of the tune.
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Im speechless, i have no speech
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - without knowing the tempo, the rhythmic "feel", triplets?, etc etc, it is impossible to comment on this at all, really. The only thing I would say is that it appears too short to be called a solo, as such - more like a "fill" ?
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Indeed. If we're talking Jazz here, the rhythm & feel is probably more important than the notes.
  6. Damn I hate tab. Does anyone know any free downloadable software to write manuscript out? Then I could explain it further.

At the moment it is barely a fill but I am going to develop it further and asking you gus for a hand.

I hope it goes well, my first piece :D
  7. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    yeah, throw this in:

E-------6--------------0--------------------------------------(toaster oven)
  8. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    download finale notepad. its free. there are some limitations, but only if youre writing out full orchestra scores.
  9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

try this -- ABOVE the tab staff, put the chords.

UNDER the tab staff, use these letters for note length:
    q = quarter
    e = eighth
    h = half
    w = whole
    de = dotted eighth
    dq = dotted quarter
    s = sixteenth

and use | (upper-case backslash) for the bar lines, in the note value row.

We'll figure it out...
  10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    or, write it out in standard, scan it, and attach it to your next post. (No, I still don't know how to do that... :confused: )

I wrote out just the notes, and the one thing that looks just a little strange is the E to A jump going up and A to E coming back down.

I guess I still need to see where this thing hits the bar lines and the chords.

Actually, you could just type it in two rows -- note names first, then bar lines and note lengths next, now that we know where it's going from you first post.
  11. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    you can also download finale notepad (google search?) which lets you write music out on your computer. that way you don't have to erase anything, scan anything, and it can play the music back.