Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soloing...ideas...runs..something for metal

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Soapbox Prophet, Jul 30, 2001.

1. hey I need some ideas or suggestions as to how I can do work on soloing/"going off" in a metal/hardcore band....any suggested listening or techniques that i could learn? i use a pick most of the time, but i am capable of using fingers and i do know some theory. I know the modes, keys, chromatics....stuff like that, but I dunno, i guess I just need to see someone else do it so i can get some ideas....or I have tried listening to jazz and bass solo artist stuff, but I find it incredibly boring....sure I see the talent, but it's still boring as crap to me. I've checked out Cliff Burton already....because he's in relatively the same style I am(mines more new school screamy stuff)...but the keys, speed, and progressions are similar....so maybe someone like him. alright thanks a million.

Christopher Murray

2. Xavier Revilla

Xavier Revilla

Jun 26, 2001
    Spain
    try to listen to some steve di giorgio albums:
    Death(sound of perseverance)
    Control Denied(the fragile art of existence)
    Sadus

3. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    listen to intrumets other than guitar or bass. horns are really good. sax and trumpet!

4. Use the force, dude.. use the force...

5. no not really, i have played the saxophone for 7 years and i've played a lot of it on bass and it's not that heavy. you want it heavy? welcome to my world!.. j/k, (disturbed) :)
    anyway, i just listen to black sabbath, and and go around the scale... good luck!