Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soloing in place of a guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass_drum, Apr 29, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey, I'm wondering if any of you guys/gals have ever played a song with your band, and when the guitar solo coems up, you crank on some distortion and solo. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but before i get my hopes up, im just wondering if ill be heard, or if a distorted guitar will still cover me up and it will just sound all muddy and be useless.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...do you mean copping the guitarist's solo and stealing the spotlight on stage without telling him? That's seriously uncool. However, if you're talking about doing a bass solo, then go for it! Check out some Cliff Burton for some nice distorted bass -- and his "Anesthesia" for a kickin' distorted bass solo.

As it always goes with distorting instruments, you have to be VERY concious of the amount of distortion you're using. Too much distortion/overdrive will, unquestionably, sound awful.

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I'm not talking about stealing the solo, just doing solos in songs when the other guys are playing and stuff, you know, to get the spotlight everyonce in a while lol :p . Solo's like the one from Orion (by metallica) are great, but i want to do soloes with the guitarists and drummer still playing and such, instead of having everything quiet. What keeps hapenning is whenever we are playing some blues and i solo, the guitarists are like: "shhhh stay quiet the bassist is soloing". :spit:

Just wondering ,say, if i played the solo from american idiot during the song, (with distortion , on a six string bass) would it sound good, or would it not fit in the mix?