1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soloing over changes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Earthday, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I've been given a solo over Bminor7 to Bb7. I've found a few phrases I like within the chords, and especially like working with the D (3rd of both chords). My question is how would I go about getting away from just using the chord tones. It sounds pretty lame when I'm stuck going to the root of each chord on the 1 every bar. I know this is vague and open to creativity, but I'd just like to know how you guys would theoretically approach this progression. Any "safety scales/modes" you would use, other chords you would imply? Thanks for any input.

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    one approach might be to look at the Bb7 as a sub for E7, and play as if it were a straight ii7-V7 (Bm7-E7).

without the song for context it's hard to get specific

3. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    You could state something using the B blues scale on B-7 and then repeat it or answer it using Bb blues scale over Bb7. Might be worth a shot.

Trying an F#minor idea over the Bminor7 (working off the "5" of the chord), then repeat it or answer it using a Fdorian minor idea over the Bb7 (also working off the "5"), could be fruitful if handled tactfully.

I would really just try to play what I hear (easier said that done, right!), but those are some things you could try. If you have band in a box, you could plug the two chords in and work up ideas by yourself.