1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soloing over chords

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by iwearpumas, Oct 16, 2013.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Hey Ant, just curious, how do you determine what scale/mode to use when soloing over certain chords?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey Pumas!

For every chord that exist there is at least 1 'parent' scale. Chords come from scales.

For my own playing, I use 4 families of scales and their associate modes and arpeggios. I've taken the time to figure the 'useful' chords that come from those scales.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of those chords come from the 'family' of information associated with the Major scale. I think the last time I counted I got about 17 'useful' chords from that one scale!

Then there is the information associated with the melodic minor scale, the whole tone scale and the diminished scales.

There are a gazillions scales and the degree that you want to pursue studying scales is up to you.

Peace,
    anthony