1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

soloing over giant steps

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by ianrck, May 16, 2011.

1. ianrck

ianrck

Apr 26, 2011
    first off i wanna say sorry for the failed jakarta gig couple of years a go. i'm your contact that time i f you remembered. so, seeing your vid when you jam with victor bailey on Giant Steps is amazing.your soloing through that song is very smooth and fluent. what is the key to having that kind of fluency in soloing through extreme chord changes?
    Peace!!

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    hey man,

no worries about the jakarta thing, that stuff happens. I just have to roll with it as a band leader and move on. All good.

Having fluency when playing over any tune is rooted in spending time with your instrument and being as comfortable with the musical vocabulary and context you're playing in, as you are with your native spoken language. It's no different from the way you learnt your language from your parents as a child. You have to start simple and gain fluency and consistency as you move forward.

Janek

3. ianrck

ianrck

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks for the new podcast and reply! i'm looking forward for your new podcast and videos cause you definitely help me change my mindset and my way of playing bass guitar. been listening to your tunes on a daily basis now and you've certainly helped my playing to "sing" more. Listened to other masters such as hadrien,matt garrison etc.,all of them are amazing but i prefer your playing. you've made a profound impact in my playing and i thank you for that!!