1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

soloing over rythm changes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by azeng808, Jun 6, 2007.

1. azeng808

azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    Hey guys how would you solo through rythm changes? IS there jsut one scale I could solo over the changes such as the I? WHat do you guys do and can you give me the simplest way to solo over these changes? ( I,vi,ii,V7)

2. slybass3000

slybass3000 Inactive

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    For a shortcut you can take the Major Blues scale (Bb,C,C#,D.F and G) over the A section or the Major bebop scale (Bb,C,D,Eb,F,F#,G,A).

And ho yeah, don't forget to use phrasing as well ! ;)

SB

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    For the simplist way through you can use the I chord major scale all of the chords are diatonic to that scale. You'll have a couple avoid notes (the 4th in the I and V7 chords.) The problem is it will get old faster and may sound like your not on solid ground. You can stick to the one scale, but as the chords change try to target the 3rd and 7th of the chords. Do that and they will know you are in control.

One way to practice that if you have time is to play the major scale. Play the arpeggio for the I chord that fits that major scale pattern. That will help you "see" the chord tones within the scale. Do that for each chord so you can see where the chord tones are in the scale. Might have to expand the scale past one octave. But you hit 3rd's and/or 7th's when the chord is playing you will be golden. Worst case if time is limited focus on nailing the V7 -> I. Do that and even if you hit some clunks they will think you went outside, but came back in.

Avoid the curse of the Bass Solo. As bass player our gut wants to hit roots and especially on one. When you solo don't use roots, if you feel you have to use roots as passing tones. I use 2nd/9th instead of roots and sounds better. Also try to avoid playing on One. Solos phrases ususally don't start on the one. Lay back a little you don't have to play a lot of notes. Hitting One should only be part of a long phrase.

As Chick Corea said... It's not what you play outside its all about how you come back in. So nail the V7->I and people will dig it.

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know why but I have the feeling you have to take a solo and not a lot of time to work in it.

Here is something that is a practice exercise for improv, but if you play around with the phrasing and leave some space you can take a real nice melodic solo.

For each chord basics play the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 3rd of the chord. Be sure to play minor 3rd on the minor chords, but 3-4-5-3 for each chord. Play around with those notes use different rhythms, maybe connecting note to go from one chord to the next and you have a nice safe little solo.

5. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    What kind of things do you play when you're playing basslines through Rhythm Changes?

6. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Embelishing the melody (and knowing it too) is a good starting point too.

7. slybass3000

slybass3000 Inactive

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    In a jazz context you've got to play the changes in a walking bass fashion: play the roots and connect the chords with chord tones,chromatics up or down,cycle of fifths intervalls.
    The faster the tempo,the harder it is. Make some octaves adjustments in your lines to add variations.

SB

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The thing is that with a Rhythm Changes chord changes, you don't necessarily have to outline every chord change during the A section; they are only 2 beat appart from eachother and the tempo is usually really fast.

9. slybass3000

slybass3000 Inactive

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    Sorry but I disagree with you because what makes a rhythm changes a rhythm changes is the changes ,and, as a bass player you have to outlined those roots and chords. Of course you can once in a while get away from the chords but listen to the Masters of bass (Ron Carter,Paul Chambers,Ray Brown etc..) and you'll hear those changes in their walking bass lines.

SB

10. I think knowing when you should stick close to outlining the roots and when you can venture farther away is important.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021