Soloing Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by p0w3rman5ooo, Jan 22, 2003.

1. p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    Does anyone have any good soloing techniques? Like soloing to Hendrix, Phish, etc? I regularly do weekend jams with friends, and the guitarist just rips out these solos and I've got nothing. I've taken a course in Music Theory but it just didn't seem to click.

-By the way, does anyone know how to change my screename, not a totally different screenname just my "handle", this screenname is about two years old, I listened to odd music...
  2. I have loads of jam sessions with friends. The guitarist is quite fond of cranking out solos. I usually do like Weezer and play the main riff under the solo, or play the note of the key he's playing in.
  3. p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    That's what I usually do, but I want to solo as well, instead of playing the same riff over and over again.
  4. You could slap, but that gets annoying very quickly. If you're fast-fingered you can play a modified version of whatever the lead guitarist's playing.
  5. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    I just watch the guitarist and note what chords he/she is soloing over and just use lead up notes between the progression chords. if that makes sense to anyone.....if not ill post again later when i come down.....whoh.
  6. This is very hard and takes a lot of practice but one fun thing to do is to create counter melodies or make interesting rythmic changes. You also want to support what he is doing, if he starts playing something more intense do a little lick up the scale to build up the antisipation (Listen to Allman Brothers or Grateful Dead to hear what I mean). A great bassist leads the solo player through his solo. If you want to solo yourself you just just play around with pentatonics and such until you get a sound you like. Then move on to the more advanced stuff. Apply your theory. But no one can tell you how to solo, it all come from the soul.
  7. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    you should check out some aebersold books - they have some theory regarding soloing. like starting your riffs on the 3rd of the chord be played, chromaticism, arpeggios, etc etc. plus they all come with cd's mixed in stereo so you can fade out the other melodic instruments and just solo along to chord changes.

it's all mostly jazz but solid jazz licks will help you solo over any other type of music. especially jam stuff or blues.