Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soloing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Hey. My band wants me to make a bass solo (not funk or ultra fast). For soloing, do I write it bar to bar for the changing chords? We play rock/punk/our own type of stuff. Do you need any more info? Thanks ahead of time.

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I do a solo but i just figured it out in my head and by practicing different things.

I dont see any need to write it down unless you either cant remember it or if the process helps you formulate a good progression.

My advice is to just go for it! Start practicing it by yourself and at band practice and it will just fall together by itself.

3. I like to write out my chord progression and a general idea of what I'm going to do and edit it as I play it. Later.

4. Get your guitarist or keyboard player to Record the changes, and then play along with them. Just go over and over one song, trying different ideas and seeing what works and what does'nt. If your solo is to be longer than 4 bars, try and structure it like a story, ie, a beginning, a middle, a climaxing end, with a lead back into the song.

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    To get yourself started, find out what key the section of the song is that you're going to solo over, and start playing stuff in that key with one one rule - if it sounds good, play it again, and if it doesn't, don't. The results may not be all that sophisticated, but it'll get you started. Often the problematic step with a solo is just playing SOMETHING. If you can start by just experimenting by ear, start to refine the theory behind it at a later date.

Good luck. I remember my first proper bass solo on a gig - I was crapping myself, but it went OK, and I was rather pleased with the results... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk