Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stangg, May 22, 2001.

1. Stangg

Stangg Guest

The former bassist in our band is kind of jealous and skeptical of me.(guitarist turned bassist) He has challenged me to some sort of bassout or whatever-he-calls-it, where we just solo and noodle around for 5 minutes each, to find out who's better. I've put together some excerpts from jaco's continuum, naked in the rain by the rhcp, and some of my own creations. what else can i add to wow him?
  2. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    "dueling" is not what a bassist does. it defeats the purpose of the bass to "fight" - you're the band's mother. you nurture the other instruments and make them sound better and together. maybe you should pick up the guitar ? :(
  3. A noodling contest won't determine who's "better." How about playing a steady 8th note groove for 5 minutes, throw in some 16th passages, accents, make it swing. Chances are, this guy isn't going to admit being "wowed" by you, even if he is. And who cares, anyway.. you have his job now, right? What do you have to prove?
  4. Just play some simple repetative groove for 5 minutes without messing up and your the winner.
  5. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I'd rather fight the guy than do some kind of "bass duel". Seriously, I hate the fact that some musicians feel the need to show off or compete for the title of "best" guitarist/bassist/drummer/whatever. I say you should just play to the best of your abilities and never think you're too good to play with (or associate with) other musicians. I'm always peeved when I see salesmen in music stores playing flashy stuff to impress potential customers.
    I'm with Tones on this one. It's best not to get involved with silly competitions (unless it's all in fun...).
    Good luck anyway.
  6. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Arn't you supposed to work as a team???? isnt the idea of a band to "band" together and work as a team, If I knew that guy he'd be getting a foot up his ass, after I take his head outta there!!!!!

Does he want to name the band after himself??? If so run for the hills!!!!!!
  7. Stangg

Stangg Guest

i completely agree with that! but i'm just going along with this to humor him. if this is what he needs to make him feel big, good for him.
    oh, and he's not in the band.

8. I could not have said it better myself...:p