Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soloing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FunkFlo-Mofo, Jul 13, 2001.

1. FunkFlo-Mofo

FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    Just like to know... how do many of you guys solo? Is it a jazzy, Jaco style, a phreaked out funky Claypool solo, or a raging Cliff Burton solo. What are your favorite scales, how you construct them, blah blah blah. Just curious. There aren't many bass players up where I live to talk to about this.

2. I had asked this question a while back... search for "tips on soloing" or somthing of that sort. One bit of advice that I found very helpful is to have an idea, only if it is just a few notes, and build on it, play variations of it, more or less speak through your bass. But somtimes repetition could also sound good. theres my two cents, ill be checking back because i need some more info on this too.

Nate

3. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I think in order to be able to solo at all, you need to know the common pentatonic scales. Those include Minor, Major, Hirojashi, Kumoi. Especially minor pentatonic is useful because it can work in a song that is in major, minor or a blues.

Start off by playing slowly, don't try to sound Jaco being all over the place with staccato 16th notes.

As your chops improve you can do faster stuff if you like. Anyway, my advice is, learn the pentatonic scales and listen to some of your favourite musicians solos, maybe you can get inspiration from them. From there it's pretty much just sitting down with the bass and playing your ass off.

Good luck,
    /lovebown

4. what are the "hirojashi" and "kumoi" scales? which intervals make them up? Thanks

Nate

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think they're like the Pokemon scales.

6. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    i dont really take solos really. have done it before but more in the form of long fills or a higher melody break. i go on Jack Bruce like tangents at times when but im not trying to solo., just stretching the chords changes and rhythmic interplay. i respect the talent and skill required for a good solo but i dont really care for them for the most part. i do like the idea of a solo piece, like the way a classical guitarist would play a piece solo. i prefer these types of bass solos.