Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

soloing

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by samit, Aug 5, 2001.

1. samit

samit

Aug 5, 2001
    usa,sanantonio,tx
    Hello,

I love to fast solo with distortion (Cliff Burton,metallica)
    I want to know if u have any tips that could help me with soloing. For example help with double stops, keys etc........

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Samit,

I'd love to help you, but could you be a little more specific with what area of soloing you're having trouble with? what is it about double-stops that you can't deal with? what is it about keys that you don't understand? If you can clarify this a little then maybe I can offer some suggestions... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. samit

samit

Aug 5, 2001
    usa,sanantonio,tx
    hello,

Not so much those things in specific,but what would u suggest studying to help me with this area of speed soloing. Can u suggest like exercises,books,or certain artist I should listen to. I also have another question about tapping. I'm not sure if I understand the whole tapping thing. Can u explain how tapping is done?? sorry for the trouble in the first question.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Samit,

firstly, I'll say that speed is just a function of repetition - it's vitally important to get your technique and ideas together SLOW before trying to play fast. The musical ideas involved in playing fast aren't different to playing slow. There are a few technical things that shift, but largely, if you can't play it slow, don't even think about trying to play it fast... :oops:)

For soloing of any kind, you're gonna need some theoretical knowledge - how the notes in a particular key work with the chords in that key. Starting with some arpeggio studies is probably a good way to go, getting some idea of what the notes are in the different chord types - major, minor, major 7, min7, dominant7, etc. Then looking at the rest of the notes in whatever key you're in and how they affect that chord - the 2nd, 4th, and 6th notes up the scale...

For example, in the key of C,the notes in a C Maj chord are C, E and G, the maj7th is B. The rest of the notes in the key - D, F and A all have some kind of function against the chord, and will certainly work as melody notes.

same for Amin, still in the key of C - the chord notes are A C and E, with G as the minor 7th. The rest of the notes in the key - B D and F all work as well, and will imply a change in the chord if you 'rest' on them, rather than just zip past them at high-speed.

For source material - there are loads of books around that deal with this kind of theoretical material. If metal is your thing, then maybe check out any of the 'rock' books by David Gross - normally books with 'rock' in the title should be approached with some caution, but having seen his book 'improvising rock bass' the material seems really good.

Still, the best way to learn anything is one on one with a teacher - if you can in any way afford lessons, I'd suggest that.

tapping is fairly simple as a concept - trying hammering a note on with your left hand (assuming you play right handed, otherwise reverse all this) -

look at what's actually happening - you're pushing the string down with enough force to make it ring, and then holding it down so that it will sustain - now try doing the same thing with your right hand. Put your right thumb on the top edge of the fretboard, around the 18-22 fret position, and using your index finger, fret a note - you don't have to hit hard, but you do have to be accurate and make sure that you hold the string down after wards - try fretting the string with your left hand further down to make it easier.

Again, this stuff is much easier to explain one on one - so finding a teacher is still your best option.

But I hope that helps a bit, and if anything isn't clear, do come back and I'll explain it some more...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ya know, no matter how many threads I read here on tapping I still don't understand it. And I keep on forgetting to bring it up at my lesson. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

6. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Tapping is generally using your left hand, like usual, fretting notes and using the right hand to press down notes instead. This is kinda hard to explain in words and its best u see it yourself. Good tappers include billy sheenan, stu hamm, eddie van halen..and some others.

Put basicaly you make the bass into a piano where you press down notes with both hands...sorta ;)

/lovebown

7. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Just one more quick question about tapping since this is starting to get off the subject:

Is it like slapping? Like, an index slap (slapping the string with your right index finger)?

Thanks
    Stephanie

8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Hi stephanie - tapping is when you use the fingers of your left and right hands to press down on the fretboard to make the noise - it's very different to slapping.

9. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Well actually it is not all that diffrent from slapping in a pure sense (since tapping orginally came from slapping , at least thats what ive heard)...Eddié van halen was a pretty good bassist so he pretty much took the slap aspect of bass and made into his own thing on guitar. From then lots of diffrent methods developed on both bass and guitar.

You basicaly use the index and midde finger (and ring sometimes) to press down notes on the fretboard and release.

I wish I could help more but it's not easy to explain.

/lovebown

10. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks for your help. I think I'm gonna have a look back at some of the threads on tapping.

Press down as in press or..well..tap? Steve mentioned hammer-ons and its similarities. I definately know what a hammer-on is and can play them and pull-offs...so I guess I should be able to do this huh? LOL :D (Silly me)

No problem. I understand. The times I'd really like to know new things like this are times my bass teacher is gone on vacation! LOL

Thanks
    Stephanie