Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo's and fills

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ruud Das, May 29, 2001.

1. I've been playing for some (read 3.5) years now, and the bands I'm joining become more and more demanding of their bass-player. They'll eventually want to hear some bass solo's (I guess). And I know how it's generally done, take a minor pentatonic scale, and play with those. But since bass is no electric guitar (hammer-ons and pull off's of the same two notes for 4 bars just don't sound all that cool on bass), I'd like to hear some suggestions as to what you do to make a decent solo (I'm not talking Havona stuff here).

Also, I really dig those nifty fills you sometimes here in songs like 'You can call me Al' (I don't really consider that to be a solo). So if you have any suggestions for songs with good fills, let me know!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I take it that by "minor pentatonic" you mean the "Blues Scale". I think that if you base all your solos on this, they are going to quickly sound "samey" and lacking in variety and it would be much better to try and learn some other ideas.

Basically, you need to start learning what all the notes on every chord in every song contain and then what scales or modes of scales you can play over those chords. This may well be a long project, but it will give you the chance of doing something more meaningful than running up and down one scale every time you have to solo.

3. I know, but it's kind of hard when our guitarist really digs 'power chords' (that is A5, G5 and the lot). Mmm, maybe I could convince him to try something else for a change :)

But, thanks nonetheless.

4. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Be creative. If your guitarist is just into power chords try a bunch of different scales- various major or minor scales will work, that is as long as you do not alter the fifth. Also try singing your solo as you do it, this will give you an idea of what you want it to sound like, for a great example of this check out Keith Jarret he's the man!

5. for me, i dont know any scales or chords or any form of REAL music, i just know tavb and i just play. but, whenever i make a somewhat solo i just run all over the fretboard hitting as many notes as possible doing hammer on's here and there. the only problem is i never remember what i just played.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well.....that's going to sound great on a slow ballad!!:rolleyes:

7. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Who wants to play slow ballads anyway?

:)

/lovebown

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hmmm.....songs with a good fill.

My Generation - The WHO

Cream Live - lots of ideas here.

9. i just run all over the fretboard hitting as many notes as possible doing hammer on's here and there. the only problem is i never remember what i just played. You have got to be kidding me, Take Lessons, It's people like you who give me pounding headaches when I see bad cover bands at the bar. Please TAKE SOME LESSONS

10. Bruce Lindfield

Anyone who wants to make a living out of playing as a professional musician?

So imagine the scenario:

"Sorry (insert name of your favourite artist offering you a contract to play on their next world tour) but I just don't do ballads!!" :rolleyes:

Even RHCP have some slow songs!

11. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Yep but that doesen't make them useful or good.

/lovebown

12. Everybody knows that slow songs are unuseful and not good.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Keep it on topic, fellas.

14. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Didn't mean it like that, just that why would you need to play a slow melodic solo over a slow ballad if you're not intending to play one of those songs.

Blah im tired.
    /lovebown

15. Thanks for the input