Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by noPass/noNick, Apr 22, 2001.

1. noPass/noNick

Apr 12, 2001
    All bass solos must be done on higher notes??

there are some low notes on various solos, but they are just a spicy element...... the main thing is that the bass, when is soloing, become a guitar.... doing high pitched notes and playing them fast

maybe i'm wrong, maybe i'd not listen to many bass solos... so i got a parcial view of the point

but that's how i see it.... bass solo implies:
    -high notes
    -fast playing

is anywhere a bass solo that consists only on low pitched notes? .....low and fast, that would be cool
  2. If we want an awesome solo on bass done in some low notes listen to some of these solos:

MxPx "Middlename"
    MxPx "Today is in my Way"
    Thousand Foot Krutch "All the Way Live"
    Pax 217 "Sandbox Praise"
    Project 86 "Steins Theme"
    P.O.D. "Outkast"
  3. Listen to The Who, My Generation, nuff said :D
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you mention the answer - listen to more bass solos!

I think that even if a bass player is soloing in higher register and playing a lot of notes, it still doesn't have to sound anything like guitar. The way bass is played fingerstyle, makes for a very different sound envelope and the basic tone of bass is very different anyway, even if the same notes as a guitarist are being played. The strings are thicker and longer, so the sound is distinctive.

I think the main thing about soloing is to be melodic anyway and bass can do this - listen to some Jaco solos where he will play slow melodic lines with the emphasis on tone and phrasing. You can play slowly and effectively in bass solos, but it does require more decisiveness and very solid technique to make it work - it's much easier just to play as fast as you can and hope that people will be impressed and so won't notice the limitations in your technique.
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    nick, i think the reason that bass players usually go up the neck for a solo is so that they can be heard over the cacophony of the other instruments who are supposed to be playing "under" the solo .. in other words, so that the listener(s) actually *know* that it's a solo ! but i agree with a lot of the comments made, there are some incredible bass solos done in the lower registers of the bass.

the way it should be. low and full. ;)
  6. duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Have a listen to 'Don't Damn Me' by Guns N Roses (Use Your Illusion I). Duff Mckagan plays a solo, which is a variation of the verse riff, on the low notes.