Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SOLOS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Ass Bass, Jul 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bad Ass Bass

Bad Ass Bass Banned User

Jul 18, 2000
    does anyone have any bass solos they know or that they wrote themselves?if so message me with the tabs or e-mail them to me at fiorillo14@hotmail.com thanx.

2. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Bad Ass Bass,

Welcome to TalkBass.

I'm going to move this topic to Miscellaneous where you will have a better chance of receiving responses to your post.

3. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Music for a solo.....that's kinda an oxymoron, don't ya think?

However, the best direction I can steer you without knowing your muscial taste is going with the "Lemon Song" by Lynard Skynard. Just kidding (inside joke), Led Zepplin. I would venture to guess that it's in the "Tabs" section.

I swear Flea got his style from John Paul! Yes, I am serious about that....try listening to the Lemon Song a few times and then listen to BSSM.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Funkastorious-
    I hear ya; John Paul Jones & Flea both have a foundation in R&B...what you said makes sense(IMO).

Solos written out?
    Makes for good study/analysis...solos are "usually" improvised.
    ...is that what you're inferring?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Aha - the mention of bass solos - you knew I'd turn up didn't you?

For me the "fun" of solos, is improvising - the point in the music where you can stamp your own personality on the proceedings; so I can see why this request can be seen as a bit strange. Most Jazz players will transcribe solos, however; but I think it is the process itself that is important, not actually playing that solo note for note in a performance. So actually giving out tab, is diminishing the "learning experience".

Taking a solo you like from a record and trying to work out how to play this and more importantly why the musician played what they did, is one of the most useful learning exercises you can undertake, so I think we should all refuse to give any out as this would be "missing the point".

The way to improve and learn is to do this for yourself and incorporate the ideas behind the solo into your own playing without slavishly copying one particular solo or "lick".

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Bad Ass:

I join Dave in welcoming you to TalkBass. I will add. however, that I have noticed that you have posted the same topic twice. This one and one in Off-Topic. Therefore, I am closing this one. I will delete it in a day or two.

Please take a moment to read the thread entitled "Getting the most out of TalkBass" in this forum or "Bass Forum Housecleaning" in the "Basses" forum.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.