Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solo's??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wezzland, Oct 28, 2002.

1. wezzland

wezzland

Oct 19, 2002
    england
    how do u lot go about creating ur own solo's! i only have one method and that is to mess about with single notes and to mess about with pentatonic scales

2. depending on the style of music, the blues scales sound neat and are relitivly easy to play. Another thought is to start with your root and build on different triads. You know start with the basic and then extend it or somthing, just a thought. I have not done much soloing on the bass, but when I used to play trumpet I would tear up the blues scales so you could try that one to start.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the Blues scale is Pentatonic and he already said he used that - like 99% of guitarists!! :rolleyes:

4. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Make up a simple melody and then sing it , then play it on your bass. Knowing scales is fine, but once you know the major scale and minor pentatonic or whatever you can use them to make up melodies. By melodies I mean small musical motives made up of not too many or too fast notes...

Working on this path will work fine... well, until you wanna start soloing on chords..

good luck,

/lovebown

5. My bad I guess I did a piss poor job reading you first post.

6. wezzland

wezzland

Oct 19, 2002
    england
    No worries man yeah that has helped a lot cheers! i have just made on up i lasts for about three minutes and its knda flee style it took me two days to do but it was worth it, i used the pentatonic scale and used a bit of the diabolus in music scales! :D

7. well congrats, and now if you want to be the man after you perfect that in the key that you started in, learn it in all the other keys. I think that you should be able to play things in all keys and that is how I try to learn things. Just a thought, that is what I do and I think that is has helped me a lot. Have fun bud

8. wezzland

wezzland

Oct 19, 2002
    england
    Yeah thats a sweet i dea! i am going to try that! The solo i made was for a gig i am doing nxt week on friday! so yeah thanx for all your input man! :D

9. anytime bud, hope it works for you and good luck next week

10. When in doubt, whammy....

11. wezzland

wezzland

Oct 19, 2002
    england
    Wish i could but only if i had a whammy bar:confused:

12. AFAIK the Blues Scale is not a Pentatonic but a "Hexatonic" since it is a standard Pentatonic with an added note

13. thanks 10calh i knew i was not crazy, i jsut did not know how to describe it

14. another thing that you can do to create solos is play jsut enough of a well known tune and then leave it and have that be your basic starting stucture. Take for instance the Eurythmics Sweet Dreams everybody knows that one. So play enough of it so people go "oh yeah I know what that is" and then leave it. have fun