solution for hanging 7s on the wall!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Jan 12, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Okay, so, fed up with the fact that none of my string swings, or my "wide model" Off The Wall hanger, could accommodate my GT7, off I went to Home Depot.

I didn't find anything in the usual ruber-coated-shovel-hangers, but what I found was this: It's a hanger for "electric garden tools" and shows a picture of a weedwhacker hanging from the thing - it's got an upper, forked hanger, and a lower single hook for the cord, all attached to a vertical wall bracket. So I bought this ($2.97) and brought it home.

I proceeded then to cut thru the 1/2, maybe 5/8" metal the whole thing is formed out of, with the Dremel, so i could just have the forked part. Plenty wide enough for my GT7 and the shaft fit into my string swing mounting plate already on the wall, with a little coaxing! Covered the tines of the fork with fake fur from a guitar stand I had. So now, my GT7 ain't goin nowhere! Yaaaay!

I'm just a little concerned as to the weld of the fork onto the shaft, because as I was hammering away at the last bit of the joint (dremel didn't go all the way thru) the forked part actually swung over to the side a littler, so i had to hammer it back straight. but I couldn't bend it by hand even after that, so I dont *think* the 12-lb Conklin will break the weld. perhaps a small bolt drilled right thru the weld would make me feel better, but i'm just leaving it alone for now.

Disclaimer: if mine breaks and my Conklin falls, I shall cry. Therefore, do this at your own risk. But thus far not a hint of problem - pics to follow!
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    You might try Wallacher Guitar Hangers. That one of the companies we (Benavente Guitars) do our Winter NAMM Booth with every year and they have hangers for even our 9 string this year.