Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solution for the G string sinking?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kruton, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I have a MIM Jazz and the G string keeps on lowering itself. All the others are okay, except for this one. Its the saddle (I think?) thats slipping. Is there any fix besides buying a new bridge? Any help is appreciated.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thread lock, aka locktyte

3. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Where can I find and how much is Loctite?

4. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I've seen Loctite in auto parts stores as well as hobby shops. It's probably 5-6 bucks for a tube.

5. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    How much and where should I put it?

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    As Joshua said, clear nail polish works fine. After you set it like you want, put a little on the threads.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    You can also take the height adjustment screw out, slightly mash the threads a little in the middle, then thread it back in - that'll usually keep 'em from moving when you don't want 'em to, but still allow future adjustment...

- georgestrings

8. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    +1 on clear nail polish . . . that trick has worked fine for me for 40+ years

9. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Have you had to reapply it? Is this a common problem Im having? I should have the loctite by today im hopin.

10. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    only when I've changed the action . . . new type or model of strings, different playing style, etc. But the nail polish DOES work and seems to last FOREVER.

11. Its just the nature of the beast, those damn G strings are like cheese wire and are always going to go in further than you want :smug: