1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solutions for basses with different level outputs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xtaftx, Nov 7, 2018.

1. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    In my band, I've recently started using my Squier Bass VI for a couple of songs along with my Fender Jag, and as other people have mentioned and I've noticed, there's a bit less output on the Bass VI than the Jag. I am planning on getting new pickups in the Bass VI in the future, but that will require some $ and time to get that done.

In the meantime, I was wondering if I should go the boost route and have that on with the Bass VI to match the general sound of the Jag, or should I use a compressor to even it out regardless of the bass? Or is there a different solution I'm not seeing yet? Anything to make the switch between instruments seamless between songs. Any (sensible) ideas are welcome.

2. Boss LS2 will handle that, or a EQ pedal set flat and just bump the level up a bit.

Mr. voodoobass, Robertron and xtaftx like this.
  3. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    If you're eventually going to upgrade the pickups to achieve equal levels I recommend you go with a solution that solves your temporary problem but that you can still make use of when you make your proper upgrade.

Depending on how large the difference is between each guitar's output a compressor might not be what you're looking for. Like you mentioned a boost would help you bring your Bass IV up to unity. After you upgrade the pickups in the guitar you can still use the boost as a boost. Maybe you just need an ABY pedal with volume controls?

Whatever you decide on try to pick something that doesn't become obsolete when you upgrade the pickups.

xtaftx and mattbass6945 like this.
  4. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    Yeah, I definitely want to make sure it's gonna be a piece of equipment that is still useful in some application later on. I was thinking of getting an ABY to bi-amp in the future, so I'll look for one with volume controls. Thanks!

Robertron likes this.
  5. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    In that case invest in a quality one as well. Good luck!

6. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I don't own this and I haven't checked it out - but I really haven't had any issues with Radial gear in the past.

I would check out something like this pedal - Radial BigShot i/o. It allows you to have a volume control on the 2nd input.

soulman969 likes this.
  7. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Why does it matter if the output is different?:thumbsdown:

soulstew and Kro like this.
  8. Wouldn't the simplest solution be just adjusting the volume of each bass so they're equal in output? There's no law against running the Jaguar less than dimed volume wise so it matches the output of the Bass VI.

Booster pedals can always come in handy as do selector pedals like the Big Shot if you gig with multiple instruments so neither is money down the drain but it seems to me you already have a much cheaper "built-in" solution if you simply adjust the output of each bass to match.

Clutchcargo likes this.
  9. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Had the same problem, used a Boss LS2, worked perfectly, bu t I downsized the pedalboard. I simply adjusted the pickups height on my jag a bit further away from the strings and now they are at the same volume level.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Why do so many of these sound like solutions in search of problems?

soulstew likes this.
  11. Southampton All Things Equal

DirtyDuke and Alien8 like this.
  12. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    This All Day Long.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  13. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    If the louder one has a volume, then just turn it down until they're equal. Note the position, and boom - every time you switch they'll be the same.

Similar methods of gain control on an amp or pedal post-FOH-send would work equally well.

Good luck!

14. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK?
    Volume control on your amp should work...just sayin'
    Rock on.

15. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    get something like a Bassbone, set level for each bass and be done with it. For what you're doing, the original BB will do the job nicely, and can be had for cheap used.

16. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    I use a multitude of basses and solved the problem with my Line6 G70 wireless which allows me to create as many scenes as I’d like and either boost or cut the output from the pedalboard receiver. Works like a champ! Having said that, I was already using wireless and that’s a $400-$500 fix.

A cheaper solution is the SA programmable EQ which lets you store 3 programmed eq’s Each including master level boost or cut. $150 new.

Skillet likes this.
  17. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    I use a Morley AYB Mix for this. It isn't the best solution as I wish it had a mute option for each input but it gets the job done.

18. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    if/when needed ... i have a SA-170 programmable EQ pedal ... has 4 savable presets that remember the Volume knob setting ..!

19. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington