Solutions for drums without recording drums?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JakeAndAirwaves, Aug 14, 2013.

1. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
  2. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    I think that is a pretty viable solution. Having the actual hardware and not having to fumble around with a bunch of vsts sounds nice.

Is there a way I can set this up to plug the MIDI output into my Audiobox and monitor it through that somehow? I'm assuming that would be a software thing, though.

3. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    I use a DrumKat to record drum parts into a midi sequencer and then overdub to get the hi-hat and kick part. Just use a good drum sample on one of your midi devices and you're good to go. I use a sample of Steve Gadd on my ASR-10 and it's very realistic.

4. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Yes Alesis SR16 has midi in and midi out/thru. You can look on the web to learn how to set it up, plus they can be found on the cheap but sound great.

5. -If you can get your hands on a sound library you can cut/paste loops to create a drum part.

-Any type of sequencing software + a midi controller will let you create your own drum parts

-If you get V-drums (admittadly, an expensive option) you can just play them in.

6. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    Okay guys I did some exploring in Ableton Lite, which came with my MIDI keyboard and I found this.

9510739783_15d3882586_b.jpg

I have a few decent-sounding kits to work with now, and with my 8 pads I can use the bottom two rows of drums without having to cycle banks.

What I've been able to do with no drum experience at all is basic kick/snare beats that don't really sound like what I'm after.
    I don't know what to do next.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Can you beatbox? A local act opened for one of my projects, and the lead singer would beat box into a loop station to provide the beat for the song. Worked pretty well except that each song had to have an obligatory section at the beginning for him to setup the beatbox loop. Basically a mandatory eight bar intro to each tune got it done.

Not a serious suggestion, but on the off chance it would work...

9. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    That is fantastic. Thank you!
    Now if I can find a way to program my midi pads to use those.

That sounds interesting but very theatrical. Don't think it would work for us. I appreciate your input, though.

10. dazmond

dazmond

Dec 3, 2012
    My guitar player uses hydrogen. It's a free drum plugin that works well with reaper

11. If you have an iPad/Phone/Pod there is DM1.

OTOH you can log in to SoundCloud, find a drummer and maybe you get yourself one more bandmate. SoundCloud allow you to work remote exchanging sound files.

12. EZ Drummer comes with some pre-made grooves in form of midi bits that can be edited within your DAW. These grooves are very high quality and realistically sounding.
    You can also start from scratch and make your own grooves, but I always tend to find something I like as a starting point, and edit it to fit my tunes.

13. They also have tons of MIDI files that you can buy that are reasonably priced on their website. Probably the easiest and most effective solution (EZ Drummer + MIDI) for what you are trying to do, IMO.

http://www.toontrack.com/midipacks.asp

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jamstix yet. This is probably the best piece of software to check out if you want natural sounding drums played "on the fly" rather than just loops. And you can start off very basic with it and go as deep as you want to go into controlling how it actually plays. The stock sounds are also pretty good.

Check the music on the website and grab the demo. I have no link to Rayzoon other than as a happy customer (service is top notch, by the way).

http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix3.html

15. Projectile

Projectile

Feb 5, 2009
    Another option worth mentioning is XLN Addictive Drums. It is quite a bit more tweekable than EZ Drummer, but not quite as overwhelming as Superior Drummer. It offers a nice middle ground between the two. I prefer it over everything else I've tried, and have made some very convincing drum tracks with it.

http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/1

16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Steinberg Groove Agent perhaps? Another one of the live, virtual drummers. Unfortunately, their product webpage seem be in a state of transition, so little actual feature details.

17. kosborne

kosborne

Apr 16, 2013
    Nobody has mentioned virtual tracking yet - meaning, you do a demo and send it off to a studio/session drummer and they send you back the live drum files. It's usually pretty affordable, $50-100 per song or something. If it's something you're really wanting to put out, you could always do MIDI Drums for the demo, send it off, and have the real drummer basically play that same type thing.

Shameless plug, but my primary session drummer and I do this all the time. We've gotten files from all over. If you're ever interested, email me.

I prefer real drums on recordings 100x over. Sounds so much better to me, especially when the drummer can keep consistent time, tone, and has some grace.

18. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    Well, I did... but it's probably worth mentioning again.

19. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK

I use Ableton, I don't bother with the built-in drumming VSTs. Great for electronic music, but for real drum sounds, they are poor. You would need to replace most of the samples for a respectable organic sounding kit, IMO it's just not worth the trouble.

I use Addictive Drums as a plug in. It's brilliant, I highly recommend it. I'm in a similar situation to you, was in band and it wasn't working out (particularly with the drummer). Now I write and record with my guitarist on PC and use Addictive for beats. Granted, I grew up with a drummer so know my way around a kit reasonably well for someone who can't actually play, but still there are LOADS of pre-set grooves you can use and tailor through midi.

My guitarist thinks I'm better at midi drums than bass haha. People ask who plays drums in our band when they hear the tracks I've produced (I'm an amateur at this), even other musicians. Addictive is THAT good.

I don't use a midi controller yet but have been considering the Novation Launchpad for a while, that is tailored to Ableton.

20. Brelic

Brelic

Jun 26, 2011
    East Coast, Canada
    +1

Jamstix is IMO the absolute best of the bunch in terms of creating dynamic human-like drum grooves based on your 'rules', and just gets out of the way.

There's a bit of a learning curve. It's well worth it to read the manual and understand how the 'brain' functions, and how different drummer models and musical genres interact. But once you get it going, it's unbelievable.

You can use the stock drums, or set it to trigger other samples, such as SSD4 (which is what I do).

I recently switched over to Mac and Logic Pro X, desperately waiting for the Mac version to come out, but still no dice.

And the Drummer thing in Logic is nice, but nowhere nearly as powerful as Jamstix.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021