Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solutions to the humming of russian muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sidhk817, Apr 2, 2005.

1. hi there
    i just received my russian muff.i also bought a 9V to AC adaptor.i tried it and it sounds quite good to me.but there is a big problem.it hums heavily whenever the sustain knob isnt at 9 o'clock(at this position there is also a little hum).i love the sound when the sustain is full on,however it is unusable due to the hum.
    also,when my volume setting is lower than 11o'clock,there is little hum and VERY little gain.but when i turn pass that,the hum comes in a terrible way.and this is annoying cuz i have to get to 12 o'clock to match my original gain.
    one more,it hums even i turned the volume on my bass to ZERO.any ideas?

thx a lot.

Sid

PS:i use a cheap yamaha bass and a small practise amp to try it.even the muff hasnt a true bypass,there is no hum in OFF mode.

2. To be honest, I don't think there is a way you will be able to mod the pedal to have no hum when the sustain is up.

The only option I can think of is to buy a noise gate. Or if you want to and can get it done, have one installed in the Big Muff circuit in the same pedal, although if you were to do so you would need a larger enclosure for the pedal, however the Zvex Mammoth uses has a noise gate built in (controllled by the 'pinch' knob) and it's tiny.

3. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I love the sound of the Wooly Mammoth, but is there another pedal that sounds like it that is less than $100 (or maybe even slightly over)? I've never heard the Russian Muff, so that may be the answer. Can anyone post some soundclips of the russian? Thanks.