1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

[Solved] Help with Old Peavey Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Real_Karl, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Real_Karl

Real_Karl

Nov 23, 2017
    [Solved]
    So apparently I never needed the XLR cable, the people at this local music shop were saying it's a better quality than the regular 3.5mm aux cable.
    All I did to make it work: 1/4 cable to 1/4 cable: cabinet to mixer amp.
    1/4 cable male adapter to 3.5mm female adapter.
    Connect 3.5mm aux to adapter and other end of 3.5mm to phone and it works.
    I mainly didn't know how to use the mixer amp. All I had to do was turn 2 knobs instead of one. :) Both volumes for input and output.

Also to throw this in here: the 1st music shop I went into and asked how can I get this working, he basically said "OH OH I just figured it out. Give me 3 minutes." He then comes out with a bunch of cables and tells me it will cost me $50 before he can even open it to see if it works... I said no and he said i won't be able to get a signal with my 3.5mm aux cable. He said I needed a gold plated connector or something. Thank God I never took his deal.

Both Peavey
    Bass Cabinet: BW-15 Speaker Model 215
    Mixer Amp: XR-600B Mixer Amp
    (I'm not that experienced in this field)

My intention: What I'm trying to do is to just play regular music with it from my phone. I have a XLR to 3.5mm audio jack to connect it from my mixer amp to my phone.

My question: Is there other options than installing a tweeter? Just want to explore my options.

So I got this bass cabinet from a school throwing them out. When ever I play songs the vocals are either very low in volume or muted all together during random parts of a song. Some other high notes would also be lowered a bit but not that much. I'm assuming it's because this is a bass cabinet and only plays low frequencies.

I went to a music shop about a month ago and the guy suggested putting on a tweeter so it can play more clearly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I’m guessing that your connection from your phone to the mixer is not stereo, and that’s why different parts of songs are not coming through.

3. Real_Karl

Real_Karl

Nov 23, 2017
    So how would I go about fixing that? As I mentioned, would adding a tweeter work? Do I need different cables?
    I tried the aux cable to the mixer amp (not the XLR) and everything works fine except volume in general is low

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  5. Real_Karl

Real_Karl

Nov 23, 2017
    But let's say I can't go with adding another full range speaker, will a tweeter/horn work?

6. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    With a crossover it will.

7. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Im wondering if something else is coming into play here. I used to run a stereo 3.5mm to 2 1/4" male connectors into 2 channels of a power amp and then run that into 2 Peavey 218 subs. No dropouts, just a loss of crispness to the sound.
    It sounds like your cable could be the culprit. Is the 3.5mm male end mono or stereo? It almost sounds from your description that the 3.5mm end is mono, which is why some parts fade away while others stay strong.
    When the current band im with plays out, we have a cord that has a stereo 3.5mm male end that runs to a mono 1/4" male end. Yes it turns the signal into a mono signal but both channels of the sourcce audio are there.

singlemalt likes this.
  8. Real_Karl

Real_Karl

Nov 23, 2017
    I've been thinking it could be the cable because it was a cheap cable for 8 bucks. I don't have the packaging so I don't know if it's mono. But if it is then I can try other cables from the store and hopefully that works.
    Also another thing I forgot to mention: the bass cabinet and mixer amp was in a big garbage container. I'm assuming it was thrown in there so maybe the impact of it hitting the bottom may have gotten a few wires loose or something. That's one thing I'm thinking about. But ill try the cables first, easy things first lol.

Bim1959 likes this.
  9. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    See if you can try the mixer with another speaker cab.

10. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    XLR isn't stereo, is it? So you're listening to one channel. Plus you have no high frequency support. You need a better cable arrangement and a different speaker arrangement for full range playback.

11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Your on the right track with the aux in. Set the volume on your phone all the way up, then use the aux in master volume to bring volume up in the cab. Also see if the Graphic EQ does anything to the aux in channel. Oh and as mentioned above make sure you are using the correct type of cable.

12. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Agreed, a PA speaker would give the missing high end.

13. Real_Karl

Real_Karl

Nov 23, 2017
    Wow guys, so I tried something new and everything sounds fine now :) quarter inch cable adapter to 3.5mm back, connect that into the mixer. Then from the adapter to phone I did 3.5mm to 3.5mm. Tuned some settings on the amp and everything sounds fine. Looks like I didn't need to use the XLR

smogg and charlie monroe like this.
  14. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Pretty good deal on the Peavey cab.

15. Back in the day, for a cheap fix / add-on, we'd get the hole saw and drop in those old black plastic tweeters, I forget the brand (were they Motorolas?). I think Peavey themselves used them on what we used to call 'Bingo Cabinets' ( the little column speakers Peavey often sold together with their little PA heads). I suppose you could ante up and spend real money on a Foster horn, but why?

16. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Not just not stereo, balanced line in utilises common mode rejection. Which could explain a lot.

Stumbo likes this.
  17. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, the XLR is just getting one half of the signal from the phone. Get a cable that has a 1/8" male on one end and two 1/4" male plugs on the other, and plug that into two channels on the mixer. It's still not going to sound great, but it should work a lot better than now.

Hosa CMP-153 - 3', 3.5mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Cable

18. That's a pretty big iphone speaker!

19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    totally not helpful, but the thread title reminded me of this...

20. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps