[SOLVED] Tony Franklin PJ wiring problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by devnulljp, Apr 9, 2017.

1. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I just got an early 70s PBass that someone has converted to a PJ, so decided to try the Tony Franklin setup with a 3-way tele switch as it's already been routed.
    I put in a Nordy V4 P pickup and so far have kept the DiMarzio J that was in the bridge when I got it (although I'm thinking about going with a Geezer PJ set, but that's another story). The DiMarzio has 4 wires, I have black and white soldered together and heatshrinked, red to the switch, green to ground on the volume pot.

Having trouble with the wiring though. Tried the diagrams below, but no matter what I do I get J only in the rear switch position but PJ in both middle and forward positions.

Also, not sure about where the stray ground wire goes off the volume pot that's marked "to switch ground" -- are you really soldering this to the switch casing?

Even tried two different switches in case it was shorted.

[Deleted wrong diagram so no-one uses it in future]

Looked at the mess that's in Tony's bass
    TF_Curcuit_s.jpg

and this diagram

[Deleted wrong diagram so no-one uses it in future]

and tried this wiring too

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. All of those diagrams are bad. I don't know where you got them, but none of them should be used.

What you want is standard Telecaster wiring. Follow it precisely.

devnulljp likes this.
  3. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Figured it out this morning and just used a wiring diagram for a Tele.

Now I've figured it out, might try a 4 way too. :bassist:

EDIT: Got those above diagrams off TB.
    Fender/DiMarzio PJ wiring problem

200702_telewiringtricks_2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  4. That diagram is functional, but there is one problem. Having the capacitor soldered in between two pots is poor practice, as there will be strain on it, if a pot works loose and spins around. Make sure you keep the capacitor soldered to the tone pot, only.

5. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Yeah, figured that. Good advice, thanks!
    DSC_0017_zps84cjzppo.gif

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  6. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    ere she is, all wired up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

line6man likes this.
  7. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    that's a cool looking bass. i have a mid 70's p bass that's almost exactly the same.

also, great timing on this thread as i just wired up a parts P bass that was routed for a jazz pickup as well. I figured since it was there i might as well add a jazz pickup, i wired it 3 way and i think i got it correct.

my question is with both pickups sending signal, what should the resistance look like?
    to a cable plugged into the bass, I get about 10K ohms from just the p pickup, and about 9.5k ohms from just the jazz pickup...with both i'm getting about 5k ohms. this seem normal?
    wondering if i might have to switch the phase on the jazz pickup, or if output is going to workout fine.

was just thinking about this as i haven't had a chance to run up to the practice space to plug it into an amp.

8. Yes, that's normal. For parallel resistance, you take the reciprocals of all resistances that will be going into the total, and add them together. Then you take the reciprocal of that.

For example 1/[(1/10k)+(1/9.5k)]= ~4.87k

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022