*SOLVES* Those closed box like Humbucker Pickup Covers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lexy Bivens, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    ***Questions answered!!! Thanks all!!! *****

I LOVE the LOOK of them, on some basses.
    Is there any actual POINT besides personal opinion on appearance?

Does the material make a difference?

(until <3 weeks ago it was "the thick black blocks with dots and there's of em next together,, after 25 yrs) so uhuh learned MASSIVE amounts in a VERY VERY short period, incl the history).
    So anything that isn't basic stick on youre cheapest starter bass, is new to me.

And I habe a feeling this isn't one to Google, as I'm guessing variety of opinions.

Tia!!!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    mostly no. Metal covers are likely to alter the tone to some degree, but they aren't common on bass pickups.

Lexy Bivens likes this.
  3. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    Are they just for looks, or is there an actual purpose?

A cheap $3 one from China on eBay the same as a (Idk what a name brand high cost one costs, but I'm sure not $3)?

4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    The the sounds of the pickups within the covers vary immensely. Putting a solid cover on a pickup designed to have its polepieces exposed is not a great idea, and is at best an ok-ish idea exclusively if you play with a very gentle touch and won't miss the bit of space lost to the covers sitting atop the polepieces.

Regarding why the pickup designers choose to have polepieces exposed or not- I can't tell you. Bartolini's and EMG's mostly are with solid covers, Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio are mostly with exposed polepieces/blades. Why players choose pickups with exposed or hidden polepieces (or blades) is almost always without aesthetic considerations.

Lexy Bivens likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Definitely!

Some pickups are designed with the cover in mind, like on Gibsons.
    Some say the nickel/silver ones don't affect the timbre very much, but if you're buying a $3 piece from China, who knows what it's made of.

unless you're talking about these?

420554000375000-00-500x500.jpg
    These on the other hand:
    49710.jpg

Some say they help with shielding, & they help protect the wire coils inside the pickup.

Lexy Bivens likes this.
  6. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    Nope, solid closed black plastic.
    Saw them when started looking at necks, and it reminded me that was something I did not yet know.
    Seems like something that would get in my way and annoy me.

(im having issues going from either A/E or a ref sized pbass to full over to my new p/J bass with a size 40 nut and medium frets.

And the 3 pickups and (compared to my other 2, and the Squire Jbass I bought and returned) body shape, I'm my A week in, and still trying to find my "comfort zones" as damn thing is covered in pickups and bridge/action and neck (2 octave).

But TY guys for the answers. MB when I repair, and upgrade my messed up bass, I'll get a pair of opens s closed, and then on and off and play around.

Best way to learn what I like!

Killed_by_Death likes this.