1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

somaFM

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrbell321, May 29, 2012.

1. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    There was another thread(which I can't find) about which bands you like but are ashamed to admit. This is related, but not the same.
    I've got, I think, a wide range of music I like and I appreciate kitsch and/or camp and old stuff, in general. So today I rediscovered http://somafm.com. I used to listen to this, but got out of the habit at some point. Most of the stations are pretty good, but today's menu consists of Illinois Street lounge and Secret Agent radio.
    Anyone else listen to this? Or better yet, play in a jazzy, exotica, lounge type band ?

2. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    I love Illinois Street Lounge! There's some great stuff on there. You can't not get down to that music.
    One of my bands is sort of an experimental fun band, and we tend to use a lot of those up-tempo swing beats and samba-type stuff on the drum machine because they're so much fun to play to. It also helps that we have a Kimball Pro Entertainer organ on hand in the room as well.

3. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    Nice... I don't play organ(Hell, I barely play the bass, and that's being generous!), but I wonder if my wife would let me get an organ to attempt to learn on...

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have discovered that I love playing that sort of music myself, but I find it terribly boring to listen to other people playing it. :p Same goes for dinner jazz and minimalist or experimental electronica. I'll gladly be in the band, but I just don't play the station on my iPhone (though I do have it as an app) or stereo.