1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

somali pirates hijack again....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You say again like they ever stopped. They have been doing this for years, more often than not it works, occasionally they get stopped. So far, odds are in their favour.

2. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    There will be some kind of "air marshall" on certain boats soon I bet. Maybe 2 to 3 on the big container/cargo and oil tankers maybe.

A land war wouldnt be a good thing..somalia needs a stable government / economic stability too..Ill stop there.

3. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota

I say again only after three of them just got there brains scrambled by navy seal snipers..it obvioulsy did not phase them.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Why would anyone think 3 kids getting shot by the US Navy possibly concern the people running these operations when in the past they have had vessels shot out of the water and still kept going. Maybe you don't understand whats going on, but these guys are making millions doing this. How hard do you think it is for them to find a few "workers" willing to put their life on the line to make more money than they will ever see in their lifetime in a country where poverty is rampant when by and large, they are successful anyway? As I said, the odds are in their favour. I would be far more surprised if they did stop hijacking ships because these 3 kids were killed. That would be out of character.

5. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Ok , I didnt look at it that way...makes sense.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think the problem that the world is facing is not unlike the issue of paid insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan. When you get groups willing to pay people (or their families on their death) more money than they would ever hope to make in their lifetime, you will always get "volunteers" whether they are motivated by ideology or not. Simply killing a few of them isn't going to change anything until you make it no longer possible for the "bosses" to keep funding the practice. That's where the parallels end (IMO) because the sources of funding for insurgencies vs piracy is very different and it is feasible to stop the pirates source of funding (albeit difficult). I wouldn't be surprised if certain governments intelligence services arn't already looking at who is actually running these piracy operations and targetting these people a little more directly. That would seem to make sense rather than trying to stop them "in the water" so to speak.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    You wont really ever stop it, even if you kill all of the gang-leaders you'll just have someone else step in. As long as there's rampant poverty, it will never go away. It's a culture and not any one single man's idea.
    You can make it so dangerous to them that you cut back on it's frequency, but as long as there's poverty and money to be made it will never stop.

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    "Piece can not be kept by force,it can only be achieved by understanding."
    Albert Einstein

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I don't trust any more quotes from you!!!

On a serious note - the whole piracy issue is not the problem in and of itself it's more just a symptom of a larger problem related to what's going on in Africa and other parts of the world. Terrorism, poverty, war....I'd love to preach here about rethinking policies, working together, educating folks, but it almost sounds pathetically idealistic these days.

10. given the current economic situation in the world, piracy doesn't sound like too bad a career right now.

Oh, wait, I use Frostwire and uTorrent. I'm already a pirate...

/sarcasm

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    But I bet I could "force" you to understand.

We could take a billion dollar on a boat to those people and walk up on their shores with arems wide open and 1) they still wouldn't like us 2) they would shoot whoever showed up 3) they would take the money 4) they would still keep taking ships. Understanding has to come from BOTH sides! NOT just US every time!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There's one word here - "inequality" !

The more this becomes a perception throughout the world - the more you will get piracy,terrorism and rioting etc.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ

Absolutely.

14. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I don't think piracy, terrorism, famine, war, pestilence, poverty, or plague are anything new. They never went away, and perhaps they never will.

15. Pretty much. :meh:

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No, they'll never go away for sure, but in societies where people are generally content, you will see considerably less of this of course.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1

And for anyone interested in fictionalised, but nevertheless interesting accounts of both cargo shipping and piracy there are two books by Frederick Forsyth, the Dogs of War (regarding shipping) and the Afghan (covering piracy and ship-borne treats) that are worth reading. THey are good easy reads, but are generally well researched and contain a lot of information about the two activities which demonstrate why policing is such a tough issue.

18. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    You can't deny you proposed to me.:eek:

hehe I'll change it in a moment,was a busy day and I forgot.:p

I said the exact thing in the other piracy thread.If you want to completely finish piracy,terrorism etc. in the world,all of us need to get our fat assess out of our chair and help the non-developed to develop.In the meantime,we should not eat that extra cheese-cake,you don't need that to survive.

This will NEVER EVER happen as selfishness,crushing others to go one step further,destruction,murder is written all the way deep into our genes.

But children are dying of HUNGER on the other side of the world.People are eating MUD where as I'm enjoying my tea right at this very moment.

Life is not fair,nuke 'em as hard as you can...

19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    You can have my body but my soul.:spit:

:p