Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some 5 string Questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott D, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, now's my time for a 5 string. I have $520 right now, and could easily get ~$150 in the next 2 weeks. I currently have my eye on a Washburn Taurus T25 ($350 new), but I keep thinking about the G&L Tribute L-2500 ($600 new). Now I already have a USA G&L L-2000. I've never played any other G&L (there really aren't any others here) but I have played the Taurus and I really dig it. Looks beautiful, nice tight B, great growl. Are there any other 5's I should be looking for in this range?

Thanks,
    Scott D.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Music Man S.U.B. 5-string is in that price range, but it is not as versatile a bass. I think that the G&L Tribute 5 is a wonderful sounding axe for the money. It is comparable to some high end basses that I used to own.

3. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    It also depends on what type of string spacing you prefer. The taurus spacing looks pretty tight. Do you slap a lot? In that price range you could get an Ibanez BTB, an MTD Kingston, Maybe even a used Lakland 55-01. All 35" scale fivers with wide string spacing. For a little more you could score a Ken Smith import Jazz also a wide spaced bass. I would suggest that if you have a limite budget that you get a 35" scale fiver it makes a big difference on mass produced basses.

4. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    You may want to check out the Cort/Elrick Josh Paul. It plays great, sounds great, and looks fantastic. They can be had for $629 new on e-bay.
    I bought one and have absolutely no regrets.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would definitely look at the Godin Freeway 5 or a used Godin SD 5 if you can find it. The Freeway can be had for $400-500

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well guys-Just got back from the store. I bought the Taurus. Holy crap. This is one SWEET bass. It growls and sustains like the Dickens, the B is has a little give to it but alot of tension. Playability is great. The pickups buzz slightly in single-coil operation (it is a passive 5) and all of the strings are evenly voiced. Go check out this bass! It's beautiful (looks alot like an FBB), plays awesome, and sounds awesome! I'll post pics when I'm done with dinner.

7. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Tribute is a nice bass for the money but I would seriously look at the Cort/ Elrick Josh Paul too. I see someone else mentioned it too. Bass Player Mag gave it a great rating. Big bang for your buck.