1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some Advice - First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gabriel192, Mar 23, 2009.

1. G&L L2500 Tribute

41.5%
  2. Fender Deluxe P Bass Special 4-String

45.3%
  3. Other? PLEASE mention which one.

13.2%
  1. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    Hello there. I've been playing bass for over a year now, and I'd say I'm moderately good at it. I don't own a bass yet; I've been able to get by just with the (cheap p-bass copy) that's at my church.

I've been lurking on these forums for weeks looking for options, and I think I've narrowed it down to two basses. Of course, I'm probably wrong, so please give me your honest opinions. Max. budget is $800Â…also, I cannot buy used. I'd prefer a 5-string, but no real problem with buying a 4-string.

The two basses I've come down to are the G&L L2500 Tribute Bass, and the Fender Deluxe P Bass Special 4-String Bass.

I'd love to hear your opinions!

2. D-Rock47

D-Rock47

Jan 14, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Why can't you buy used? There are some awesome deals if you look for a used one. Plus, you'll save the tax!

3. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    But, I don't live in the US. A friend is visiting there, and he's leaving in a few days…he said he'd pick up a bass from a GC nearby. I'd rather not choose to trust International Shipping.

4. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    The one thing that is probably said more than anything else is get out and try different basses and see which one feels the best to you.

IMO, that is probably the second best advice you'll see on this board right behind: practice, practice, practice :bassist:

5. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Get a standard MIA P. Don't buy an active P.

6. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    Yeah, I see that a lot around here. :) The reason I'm asking here is I have to make this buy well, blind. Local shops hardly have a variety of basses, and I want to buy a decent bass (at the very least). So I guess there isn't a chance of me playing the bass before buying. That said, I have been playing a P-Bass (copy) the last year, and I'm really comfortable with it. Do you think this warrants getting the Fender Active P Special?

7. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, that's out of my budget. :(

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, go out and try everything before "narrowing" your choice.
    OK, I see. Then, get out of town, go to a bigger town, whatever it takes. Don't buy blind.

9. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I would go with an Ibanez ATK. You can get a new 5 string for $550 and it can cover a wide range of tones and works for any music style. Many people on here have and love them including me. Hope this helps.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Don't rule out Yamaha. I haven't played one I didn't like. The new RBX A2's are supposed to be nice. Ed Freidland has a review on YouTube. The BB 414 is a great bass as well. Both withing your $500 budget.

11. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    What do you think of the TRB1005?

(My budget is $800) :)

12. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    The Tribute L2500 is the best bass I have played with a new price of under $1000. I would say it even compares favorably with some of the other, more expensive basses that I have owned.

13. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    i have the fender p special and its a solid bass and really versitile sounds. its nice because its not so expensive that if you mess it up you feel bad but its nice enough to satasfy basically anyone and is way nicer then anything less then $600. and, because it plays so well, you can swap the electronics and it becomes a tonal beast. one thing i want to do though is to switch it to VV/B+T/M insead of V/Blend/B+T/M. i feel like some tone is lost thru the blend pot. hope that helps!

14. Ossaris

Ossaris

Mar 2, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I also recommend the Ibanez ATK, its a bit heavy, but its an extremely versatile bass! I don't own one but I tried it out various times and I believe its an awesome bass. Besides its about $500 and you'll have some money aside to buy a combo amp! :D Its a plus I guess.:bassist:

15. bakjewel

bakjewel

Mar 6, 2009
    What about Cort A4?
    Extremely versatile, active, through neck, bartolini pickups etc all for around $800 I think.
    It's one of the best bass in that price range.

It's very light too :)

16. I wish I had a L2000 Tribute. Go with the L2500.

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I liked the one I played. I am a Yamaha fan. For $800 you can get a nice bass - Yamaha or otherwise. Schecter, Spector Legend, Lakland Skyline which I like very much, the new Sterling by Musicman is supposed to be nice but I haven't played one yet. Lots of choices.