1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some advice for a newbie on supplying power to a pedalboard please.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by saresu.bass, Jun 2, 2014.

1. I'm a total novice. I've found lots of info on pedal power suppliers but I don't think they apply to my case.

I have all the power adapters of my few pedals: a EBS microbass II, a DOD FX-25b and a Roland TU-12 tuner along with a Boss ME-8B multi-FX where I want to use all its FX rather than using stompboxes.

What would you guys recommend in this case, where you have all power adapters? Install an outlet on the pedalboard?

Or,

Is it better to leave all the adapters out and buy a power supply to feed pedals for the sake of functionality, without all the hassles of their long power cords?

2. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    It's incredibly easier to have some sort of power supply on the board. That way, you have one power cord feeding your supply, and then each pedal is hooked to the supply with small cables. This is great as long as all your pedals can run off the supply. If they are all 9 or 12V, then you should be fine with any supply these days (Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus, BBE Supa Charger, etc.).

I've seen some that just mount a surge protector on there and run the wall warts, but I am personally not a fan of that. I enjoy the clean board style where all you see is the pedals themselves. To each his own, in this case.

3. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    This is the other night. Bedroom rig. I had both my bass and guitar boards out and moving some stuff around. Not ally they are a lot neater. Haha.

The guitar one on the right looks a little empty, but I share some pedals between the two boards, and that red pedal and the volume pedal are not velcro'd down yet as of this picture.

You can see each supply mounted underneath. All the cabling for power is underneath and I zip-tie it all so it's neat under there. Makes for much easier loading and unloading and storage.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401691089.751376.

4. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401691227.510986.

5. bray101,
    Thanks!
    My boss me-8b is 14volts, the others are all 9v. Any experience building a pedal board with a multi fx like ME-8B? Have you done this or saw someone doing this?

6. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I don't think any pedals I use take more than a 9v, so I just use a 9V 1Spot and a daisy chain power cable. Never had any problem with it personally. It's a lot more cost effective than the Voodoo Labs, and there certainly are trade-offs, however I havn't had a situation where the 1Spot has let me down.

otchy and Dug2 like this.
  7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I would use a 1spot kit if I were you. All you would have to do is either mount a power strip under your board or a plug the 1spot straight into the wall out of your board. Then you could still plug in a power supply for an actual pedal if its an odd voltage.

totallyfrozen likes this.
  8. bray101

bray101

Feb 26, 2012
    Ohio
    I have not used that unit, so I can't help you there. May need a separate plug for that one.

As the other poster said, 1spots work good too. My guitar player used his up until about two weeks ago when it finally went bad. Started having a lot of noise issues and failure to stay powered up, etc. He ran it without issue for 4-5 years I believe.

It all depends on your situation and what you're comfortable with. 1spots work, as do the actual standalone power supplies. Just need to determine how much you actually need. I'm always worried about power issues, so I prefer the isolated inputs of the voodoo labs. That's just me though.

9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    14 volts could be a bitch. My Fueltank Chameleon which is about as flexible of a power supply as I have found (9, 12, 18, DC, AC etc) doesn't do 14 volts.

Are you sure it uses 14 volts? That would be pretty unique.

But I have to concur with the consensus - for ease, aesthetics, portability, etc - an single power supply that you mount under your board and send power cables or daisy chains to all your effects is clearly the best solution. And yes I tried doing it your way - power cords and adapters for each effect for years until I just had enough. I love taking my board out at gigs and connecting literally three cables - 1 power cable, 1 cable from my bass and 1 cable to the amp. DONE.

Plus the other members of my band are so disorganized that if I wasn't there to help them set up and soundcheck we would never start a show on time. I should take a picture of our percussionist / drummer's cable disasters sometimes.

EDIT - after looking at what the ME-8b was - yeah it wouldn't surprise me if you needed to run the wall wart separately. But look it's the size of a pedal board anyway so its not like you are going to stick it on a pedal board anyway right?

10. Thanks for the insight guys!

1spot seems like a good idea.

Mosfed,

"...look it's the size of a pedal board anyway so its not like you are going to stick it on a pedal board anyway right?"

That's exactly what I intend to do. :)
    I even will add expression pedal and all foot switches to it rather than using several stomp boxes.

Not good idea to attach it on a pedal board? Isn't more practical while loading/unloading?

11. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I'm really happy with my TheGigRig power supply, highly recommended.
    As for the 14v thing, shoot them an email and see if they don't have something that would work (or check out their site and see what you find.)

12. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
  13. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    If you're not worried about noise, then a 1Spot would be OK. But since the power to the pedals is not isolated in a 1Spot, there is a chance of some nasty hum. That's why I use a power brick with isolated outputs. If you're in a noisy bar, it's OK. But if you play at church, then that noise is something the sound guy is gonna complain about.

14. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I would just find a case for it and call it a day. It is already kinda perfect on angle and accessibility - why add it to a pedalboard?

15. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    So this is the reason for the power bricks. Interesting. Thank you for the info. I haven't yet had a problem with this issue, but if it become a problem I know a possible solution.

16. I covet thy Generator. I had settled on the rather expen$ive GigRig option as the answer to my power problems, but I've caved and gone more affordable and heavy with a Cioks. I'd still like to get the GigRig Generator, but with all the peripherals that I need, plus a few wants, it would treble my cost compared to Cioks. As bass players, we don't want any treble right?

I've also learned that I can double up 9v outlets on a power supply to get the needed 18v for the several pedals that require or can do 18v (I want all the headroom I can get). I've still much to learn about power...

BTW Saresu.bass, I didn't see any 14v solution on the GigRig website.

17. otchy

otchy

Jan 8, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    I've used two 1spots for about 6 years now. I have about 12 pedals and I've never had a complaint. I recently have become aware that my tone could be more clear so I tried out a T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr. power supply. My octave and sub octave pedals had more boost. I put it on layaway. Only $100. Much luck!