Some Advice For My Friend

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The New Guy, Jan 8, 2006.

1. The New Guy

The New Guy

Jan 8, 2006

This is my first post on this forum. I stumbled upon this site and figured that I might ask for some advice on something. Me and my friends are thinking of making a band (even if it doesn't go big, it'll at least be a fun time). Now one of my friends, Mike, wants to play the bass, sort of. He's having some doubts about it (he doesn't know how to play, but thinking of learning). Using excuses like, "well you can't make as cool of a sound on the bass as you can on the guitar" and one of the more stupider ones being "I don't want to take lessons because most people self teach themselves, but I feel like without lessons I won't learn it".

He didn't want to play the bass until I showed him "Romantic Rights by Death from Above 1979". After he heard the way the bass was played there he was excited about learning how to play it. Now he's beggining to think of these excuses though. I just feel that if I can find any way to motivate him again, he can really get into this. Perhaps a song in which the bass is played really well and you can very clearly identify it. I've run out of ideas so I come for advice.

Maybe, what motivated you to play it? Any ideas would help.
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's a though one because it takes a lot of self motivation and self discipline to be a musician, most of us have wanted to do it since we were young and have a love for music.
    You can't force an instrument on anyone, they have to want to play.
    Yes there are some self taught pros out there, but not very many. Even the ones who say they are self taught jammed w/ other people and picked up things that way. I've been palying guitar for many years and just switched to bass a few. I take lessons, not beginner lessons they are advanced but I take lessons. Can I play in a band? Sure, but I will still take lessons because it make me better faster.
    As far as music to motivate him, he has to find what he likes. But if you insist on some names try Les Claypool, Billy Sheehan, Ryan Martini, Victor Wooten. There are scores of excellent bass players.
    I don't want to dicourage you and would love to welcome a new bass player, but it's kinda up to him.
  3. +1! I started quite young, myself. I can tell you that the love for what the bass played and what I could feel doing it was quite strong from the beginning.

If he's got that many excuses, then he's not wanting to do it and you need to move on. Even if you convince him to get started, later on, he'll not be happy and he'll quit and you'll be looking for someone else after putting all that work into the band. Find a bassist that really loves the instrument and the position in the band and go from there. That's my 2 cents... :)
  4. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    It's an internal drive, it doesn't sound like he has it. If guitar is what it takes, he can always play one, and another bass player can be found. It's simple enough to get someone started, 'hey man, come play bass in our band' will usually net you somebody in a few hours of looking.
  5. Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    There's a reason why there's generally so few bassists out there. And the reason is a lot of people share your friend's opinion. Bass is very boring to play alone until you finally get past that first learning curve, which some people just plain dont have the drive to do.

I hate to say he's a lost cause, but people are who they are. Bassists were meant to be bassists, non bassists weren't.
  6. The New Guy

The New Guy

Jan 8, 2006
    Yeah you know, you're probably right. I shouldn't try to convince him to play it. If in time he decides to play it, then all the better. God I feel like an a**hat right now. If not him, we'll find someone else. Thanks for the advice.
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't think any of us meant to make you feel bad, we were just kinda telling it like it is. Good Luck.