Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some advice for someone new please :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msiklich, Aug 20, 2004.

1. msiklich

msiklich

Aug 20, 2004
    Adelaide, SA.
    hi

well where to start! im new to this site and new to bass :) only been going a month or so, and i think its time i got my own rather than borrowing mates. stuff im into include kiss, poison, van halen, gnr...so i was looking for a little advice as to what to get? i've tried/been recomended to a few including Yamaha's new RBX374 as well as the older 370, Washburn XB 100/200, Squier j bass. So far im leaning towards the yamaha's, however i really have no idea! any advice is welcome :)

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Welcome to TalkBass! There are so many things to consider when first starting out that it can be somewhat daunting. IMHO, the most important thing to consider when buying a first bass is feel. How does it feel to play? Is the neck comfortable for you? Can the action be setup to your liking? I think the ergonomics of the bass take a priority over tone, etc. especially when starting out. If the bass feels good, you'll play better and will be more likely to continue to play. Try as many basses as possible and choose the one that makes you want to play!
    Just my $.02 :D

3. Caravan

Caravan

May 5, 2004
    Hi, I’m new to bass as well, I bought a Yamaha rbx374 couples of weeks ago, I really like the look and feel of the instrument, a few friends including my teacher who have a lot more experience than me have played it an really liked, I also played a few other brands before I bought it, but Yamaha is Yamaha! Is the best I could find for the money I paid.

Just in case you haven’t tried it yet, and want detailed pictures of it, drop me a line.

Go for it!! I don’t think you would regret it!

Caravan. :bassist:

P.S. Yamaha rbx370 is discontinued now, they could be in sale? Who knows? Maybe you can get a good deal if you find one.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    buy used. Jacksons are good 80's hair metal basses and can be found used for cheap. How do you like adelaide? Im in sydney right now and thinkin about making a trip over there, im only here till december though.

5. msiklich

msiklich

Aug 20, 2004
    Adelaide, SA.
    thanks for the advice, i think im gonna go for the rbx374 from what ive read here and elsewhere

adelaide is a very sleepy town ;) not much to do really, but most think its a very beautiful relaxed city

6. Caravan

Caravan

May 5, 2004
    here is some pics of mine, ;) :bassist:

7. Caravan

Caravan

May 5, 2004
    some more pics :hyper: :D
    Caravan

8. the general consensus when starting out is to go out and play as many different basses as you can. even if you can't afford it go ahead and play it because there is most likely something with a similar feel in your price range. in the end just get what feels and sounds the best to you.