1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some advice on distortion, please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Anthbass, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Denizens of the Effects forum, I need your two (or three) cents. I want to obtain an 'overdrive' pedal for a bit o' variety and have narrowed the field to two main choices: Homebrew Hematoma and T Rex Bass Juice. I've been able to audition the Juice but not the Homebrew. Can anyone tell me how they stack up? In terms of overdrive pedals of a similar mein, are there others I should be looking at (such as the B:Assmaster)?
    Thanks.

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    First off, the B:Assmaster is a rude & raspy fuzz pedal, not an overdrive, so I wouldn't compare it to those other 2. It would help if you told us how you managed to narrow it down to those particular 2 so that we don't go and suggest pedals you've already eliminated! But I would add Barber LTD SR, Xotic Bass BB and DHA VT1 to the list if you haven't checked those out already.

3. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Fair enough. I like the T Rex because it sounds mean without being thin. I was able to play it through my usual gig rig and still maintain 'my' sound, albeit with a lot more snarl. The sound clips that I've heard of the Hematoma appear to be similar. I want a pedal that does not inhibit a relatively warm tone but adds a serious edginess, if that helps. For the record, I'm not into the sound of the MXR Blowtorch or the Fulltone Bass Drive; they both sound too processed. I have a friend who has the BB, so I'll put it on the 'to try' list. Thank you for the suggestions.

4. ase_one23

ase_one23

Oct 23, 2008
    Glasgow
    i actually use a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde pedal, every gig i do the bassists of the other bands come up to see what i'm using - the bass boost switch is great for keeping the low end. just my 2p!

5. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i gave the hematoma a go for a few months and hated how it strangled my tone in a muddy middy blanket of gravel. the "boost" option just boosted the mud in my opinion. it did get very aggressive however, just didn't like how it buried my highs.

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    the hematoma doesn't bury your highs - it rolls them off. probably not ideal for people who like a bright sound. you know the type, the ones who wish they were playing guitar... :p

7. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    ha, whatever. i make no mystery of my guitar fascination. i've always been a clumsy guitar player that love the feel, attack, and balls of a bass. also playing in a band with lousy guitarist schedules does that to ya as a two piece. and when they do show up, having droptuned guitar and bass pedal synth take a dump on your tone isn't fun when you don't have your bright options available.

8. As opposed to the type who keep their tone so muddy to hide their crappy playing. :thump:thump: thump:thump: thump:thump:thump: ;)